Are P38 Axles an Upgrade?

Cam

Morning All,

Just joined the site. Are RR P38 axles a significant upgrade over standard rover?

Cheers

I would say they are an upgrade, but as to wether they're a significant upgrade???

If you get the rear axle off a 4.6 it has a 4pin diff in it.

Disco 2 front cv's are supposed to be the strongest factory cv, and p38 ones look v v similar so could be quite good.

The other "little" problem is that the diffs are on the wrong side.

Morning All,

Just joined the site. Are RR P38 axles a significant upgrade over standard rover?

Cheers

I think a lot of it depends on what you're doing. I've been told shafts are stronger. If the rear axle comes from a 4.6 it'll have a 4 pin diff (deffinatly worth while). However, IIRC, both axles use hockey stick style radius arms for location so you'll loose some rear axle articulation; its a bonus for handling, though. I think the biggest weakpoint is the open swivles on the front axle; I just think the CV's a bit exposed in there.

The other "little" problem is that the diffs are on the wrong side.

Wrong Side?? S**t, hadn't thought of that! I'm thinking I can pick-up a decent (i.e good engine) P38 for +/- GBP 3-4k, then scav the 4.6, axles and maybe the A/c for my D90 (Plus perhaps some nice pimped leather front seats...)

However if I've got to take the transfer box too, is it integral with the main box? I don't want an auto.

Hmmm. As for the axles, I believe these are the same as the disco II which Bowler use for the wildcat, so gotta be some kind of improvement, it's just whether they are notably better than a standard rover unit that been upgraded. The toyota route sounds the best, but the price looks a little high...

Wrong Side?? S**t, hadn't thought of that!

If you want to do this, can't you just flip the housing and re-insert the diff? You'd probably have to make a cut out in the casing flange for the Ring gear (on the other side now), but that's hardly rocket science...

It sounds like you'd need to do some suspension mount fab work anyway...?

Al.

Wrong Side?? S**t, hadn't thought of that! I'm thinking I can pick-up a decent (i.e good engine) P38 for +/- GBP 3-4k, then scav the 4.6, axles and maybe the A/c for my D90 (Plus perhaps some nice pimped leather front seats...)

If you are doing it for this I'd go for a 4.0l Disco instead. You can use axles, engine, gearbox, transfer box etc no problem unlike P38.

Cheers

Steve

Where are you hearing of those ?

Word of mouth ?

Mates in London auto trade

I'm first in the que.

4.6 HSE shoot engine mint body went for £500

2.5 DSE head gone mint body biding around £800

but its friend of friend that can get them but they are out there.