Faulty stop solenoid - perhaps?

jericho

Tried to start the 300 tdi today for the first time in 9 months - nothing doing,just spins over.

We have a good fuel supply to the injector pump,but nothing at the injectors.

The stop solenoid is the first thing to check,I suppose.It does click when I turn the key,but could it still be faulty?

I have never removed one - what am I going to find inside.

My engine is right back against the bulkhead,so I can't get a spanner on the solenoid.Before I cut a spanner in half,can anyone confirm the size of the hex? It looks to be 24 or 25 mm.

I have tried the search function - and it produced nothing relevant.

Thanks, Jerry.

to remove the fuel soleniod you'll need a 24mm spanner [suitably modified] or socket & a 8mm socket.

take the wire off, take the terminal tag off with the 8mm socket, take the 24mm socket & undo the soleniod, as you lift it out, be careful as the spring & plunger inside may drop out.

Let me suggest to clean deeply the surroundings of the solenoid before removing it, as any dirt may fall inside of the pump... and this is not a good business.

If you remove the spring and plunger and screw the solenoid again (no need of DC cable in this case) you should be able to start the engine but, remember, to stop it you have to engage a gear and stall it.

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I have found the problem.

I have just rewired the vehicle,and took a supply for the fuel solenoid from the switched live on the ignition.

It is an old lucas switch with only three positions OFF , RUN , STARTER.

The switched live terminal goes dead when the key is turned to the starter position.

The engine starts fine with a live straight from the battery.

Silly me!

All I have to do now is find a supply that is live in both run and start positions.I will check all the terminals on the switch tomorrow.

Thanks again, Jerry.

The stop solenoid feed will then backfeed the starter solenoid leaving the starter engaged. Could work with a diode though....

It would need to be chunky diode, but it would work. UK59P from Maplin would do, put the silver band nearest to the fuel solenoid in the circuit.