What rear seat options are best?

I have a 90 that is used mainly for off-roading, and increasingly other members of my family are wanting to come along too. :rolleyes:

I got a cubby box in the front and 2 bench seats in the rear, but the missus and both step daughters (23 and 25)have complained that there is not enough depth for leg support off the benches and that it gets uncomfortable. (Im ok Im in the driving seat! :lol: )

I have been looking at the options from exmoor trim re:Inward facing fold ups or inward facing tip ups or forward facing fold ups and wanted some feedback from you guys as to whats best? Or other options I havent looked at?

The rear seats will not be used for any young children though.

Blatant sales post... Mods feel free to remove if innapropriate...

I have a pair of Exmoor trim forward facing fold up rear seats finished in Techno trim (grey fabric with a mini chequerplate design) for sale. They are in excellent condition (only fitted in my 90 for about 6 months- removed when I turned it into a truck cab) and include 2 full inertia seatbelts and all mounting brackets. They fit quite happily side by side in the rear tub and fold up onto the seatboxes out of the way when not needed.

I paid £390 and am after £270. They are located in Newton Abbot but can be at the Interclub challenge or indeed the Peterborough LRO show.

Si

The best option is a 110. Let's face it, no matter what seats you fit in the back of a 90, they are not that comfortable. I've also sat in the LR ones on latest 90 and wouldn't want to do a long journey in them.

Unfortunately, if you carry rear passengers a lot and want them to be 'relatively' comfortable in a Defender you go for a 110. ;)

Steve

The best option is a 110. Let's face it, no matter what seats you fit in the back of a 90, they are not that comfortable. I've also sat in the LR ones on latest 90 and wouldn't want to do a long journey in them.

Unfortunately, if you carry rear passengers a lot and want them to be 'relatively' comfortable in a Defender you go for a 110. ;)

Steve

Correct, but for just carrying people while off-roading I think decent inward-facing seats would be fine.

On the point of the forward-facing ones, the fact that they have to swing out so far is part of the reason I prefer the side-facing ones. More efficient use of space.

Err... No... why? The seats fold into the middle such that both rear passengers have their feet on the floor.

So the seats fold down and are completely off the wheel arch then?

I thought they were half on and half off. Does that mean that if they are both down, one on each side, there's no gap in between them to walk through?

nope - the forward facing ones are entirely in the main floor area when they are down.

the hinge that they pivot on is attached the one side of the seat (obviously) and the edge of the wheelbox. When folded up the back of the seat and the seat base occupy the whole of the tope of the wheel box from teh edge to the tub sides.

If you put 2 in the back, when they are down you only have about 8" gap between the 2 seats. So its best for one person to get in and sat down, the other to get in and move forward to the centre bulkhead - turn around and then drop the second seat down.

if not, you end up with both passengers trying to squeeze through that 8" gap and landing on each other. :lol:

funny to watch tho.