new toys for C303s

dollythelw

Orange? hmmm only after I remove my nads with a blunt spoon

okey dokey, this weekend is a bit mental though 4 languages in one pub is gonna get messy, still got a welder to pimp B)

Careful Jez - I just got offered some LEDs that light up when your wheels spin...

My welder's da shiznit!

:P

Corect me if i'm wrong but does the axle pictured have a custom case to use a ford 9" diff, the square tube case and the disc conversion look similar to something i've seen on a website the other day.

Either way looks good!

Still too small though for my likeing.

Everything else just seems "less" after playing with 404's.

Corect me if i'm wrong but does the axle pictured have a custom case to use a ford 9" diff, the square tube case and the disc conversion look similar to something i've seen on a website the other day.

Either way looks good!

Still too small though for my likeing.

Everything else just seems "less" after playing with 404's.

It Does :D and yep, I've been playing with Rob and Russ for ages, give em a bell

I like 404 axles but I cant live with the added lard, 250Kgs saved makes a big difference to me coz I need to hit a max of 1850Kgs - I might have something to help out with your brakes though

It Does :D and yep, I've been playing with Rob and Russ for ages, give em a bell

I like 404 axles but I cant live with the added lard, 250Kgs saved makes a big difference to me coz I need to hit a max of 1850Kgs - I might have something to help out with your brakes though

All i can think about now is a ford 9" center with 404 drop boxes (hmm drool)

Thre's nothing wrong with added lard. After all it's in the right place, at the bottom!

Allready got discs on the G, and for my next project i've got a set of killer axles brake conversions.

1850kgs!!!!! that'll be interesting. We managed to get steves jimny (the one he used on the ironman enduro) down to 1460kgs but it took some doing.

Do you fancy posting up a link to their site, i'm sure loads of people on here would like to ogle! (and i carn't find it again)

They suck when it comes to answering emails :rolleyes:

They have been very responsive to my emails.

They are just in the process of checking to make sure a standard 16" 303 rim fits over the disc conversion for my axles. I think some of thier pics are with 18" rims.

I hope it does :)

Richard

have a peek :)

Portal Tek

Killer axles in Utah or Tibus in Wilhelmshaven?? Dani will do you a ford 9 with a 404 combo but he has a thing about them spitting out pinions

I was going to suggest hydro braking to go with your discs in place of vacuum servo? Im bringing one over so its no extra hassle to bring another if you wanted one?

Bush - the prob they been facing is like most of us they started out playing as a hobby and trying to balance work work with a start up business but its getting to the point where its full time, Rob shunts aircraft about as well so sometimes he's tricky to get hold of if he's in Canada but I can appreciate what you are saying

have a peek :)

Portal Tek

Killer axles in Utah or Tibus in Wilhelmshaven?? Dani will do you a ford 9 with a 404 combo but he has a thing about them spitting out pinions

I was going to suggest hydro braking to go with your discs in place of vacuum servo? Im bringing one over so its no extra hassle to bring another if you wanted one?

Thanks for the link.

I dealt with tibus off road, never again!!!

Enlighten me what is hydro braking?

Dani can be hard work so I know what you're saying, the Tibus stuff was designed by Danis dad Wolfgang so you could always skip a generation and talk direct to him?

Hydrobraking - aka hydroboost, bin the vaccuum servo and use a hydraulic assistance circuit plumbed from the PAS system, takes up less height than a servo and generates a higher braking effort, nitrogen cylinder acting as a reservoir in case of PAS pump failure gives 3 stabs at the pedal before you are down to ripping a quadracep to stop, gives full brake effect from tickover :D

Dani can be hard work so I know what you're saying, the Tibus stuff was designed by Danis dad Wolfgang so you could always skip a generation and talk direct to him?

Hydrobraking - aka hydroboost, bin the vaccuum servo and use a hydraulic assistance circuit plumbed from the PAS system, takes up less height than a servo and generates a higher braking effort, nitrogen cylinder acting as a reservoir in case of PAS pump failure gives 3 stabs at the pedal before you are down to ripping a quadracep to stop, gives full brake effect from tickover :D

Hard work isn't the word, so many broken promises. The guy is a muppet, their attitude toward customers stinks as well.

I've seen some of wolfgangs posts on pirate 4x4 and i don't think i'd p on him if he was on fire either.

Think i'll give hydrobraking a miss, servo system works well enough for me.

You tried talking to killer axles. Scrapiron seem positivly "customer focused" after dealing with them.

All i can say is Daniel tibus is (in my opinion) a complete Wa**er.

No, I have volvo portals, not mogs. I was referring to Portal Tek as they have said they developed a disc brake set-up for volvo portals to suit rovers.

They have been very responsive to my emails.

They are just in the process of checking to make sure a standard 16" 303 rim fits over the disc conversion for my axles. I think some of thier pics are with 18" rims.

I hope it does :)

Richard

After several posts/pms on pirate and emails to them I got 1 short reply to an email, which left more questions. I did not get another reply to my further emails.

I do not believe that I would have given the impression that I was wasting their time. I was ready to hand over money, but I wanted to know, what for.

Getting standard 16" 303 rims over disc calipers would be some feat. It would certainly give cheaper tyre options (allow me to keep my 325/85 R16 XML's :) ). I expect that 17" would be optimistic, without increasing the scrub radius too far.

I would be appreciate if you could let me know one way or the other how it works out.

the disc conversion wont clear a stock 303 wheel,

The Rover setup was a whole new output shaft for the portal, designed to take a Rover vented rotor, Rover caliper and rover pads but the sideload was suspected to be excessive and this was proved during testing, the resulting force caused the Stefa seal to leak and raised concerns about output gear deflection on stock 303 axles, its still a work in progress but rather than put out a solution with a weakspot the decision was taken to build a kit based on the stock output shaft.

Stock volvo centres can be re-rimmed in the UK or new wheels can be built to suit in 15, 16 or 16.5 rims, widths from 8" to 12" with offset to suit,

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum.Have lurked on others though.Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

Dolly, Could you say how much backspacing on a 303 rim is required to clear those calipers? When I looked at doing a similar conversion a while back I couldn't see how it could be done legally over here in Oz.

(maximum permitted track increase 2'')

Did the ''Rover'' conversion use Rover hubs and spindles? If so axle size would be a bit small.

Cheers,Bill Van Snorkle.

I got my Wilwood disc conversion from PortalTek about 10 days ago - a conversion to fit standard 303 axles and standard 16" Volvo wheels - they will also do custom widths for you. The quality of the kit looks great - no work has started yet though.

Give them a bell.