New Window Regulator

PaulN

Hi all,

Just replaced the drivers side window regulator of my Disco :)

Job seemed to go okay but I was expecting some sort of final squaring up adjustment before tightening up all bolts but there doesn't seem to be any :huh:

From your collective experiences is there any adjustment possible to get the best, smooth operation of glass in channel/frame?

The motor seems to bend the webbing metal that it's attached to as it shunts the window up and down which also suggests that it might be working too hard? :huh:

There is a bit of "flexing" of the regulator while in operation if that's what u mean.

Yes, there is flexing of the inner panel that the regulator is screwed to - when the motor is under 's drive stress

Hi

There is no adjustment on the mechanism, but make sure the bottom of the window is sitting squarly in the channel.

The window should slide up and down smoothly on its own.

Regards

wizard

Yep! - it is down on the window support nice and square so - as it appears to be going up and down reasonably ok (then I'm happy.

Thanks for the reassurance guys :D

they all flex a bit

however some of them have been known to pull the bolts through the door so if your holes are a bit slack around the bolts it would pay to put some large flat washers on the bolts for extra support.

i do this every time i remove a door card to prevent problems in the future

rob

As an aside...when I went to price a new regulator the dude offered me a genuine one(in stock curiously enough and about 30 euros more expensive!) or a pattern part..I looked at him and laughed explaining I'd chance it with a pattern part as the reason I was visiting him was because of one of those genuine parts...might as well try with the cheaper one..what had I to loose bearing in mind the known fault of the genuine one...he nodded and smiled.....2 yrs later and the pattern part is still working OK so far...

Up until I wrote this of course...

:unsure:

My driver's side is starting to click. The passenger side did this a while back before it gave up... movement of the mechanism/bolts within the mounting holes. Biggest problem I had was cleaning the tape marks off the glass when I'd finished :-)