TDS Freespool

bishbosh

I have heard from many that the freespool of the TDS is wonderfully smooth and easy to pull out the rope.

Well, mine isn't!:( It is vein popping hard work to pull the rope out and the winch is brand new. I thought it might need bedding in so it had a serious workout this weekend but that didn't improve things.

The winch tray is not warped - it is one piece and press-brake folded out of 8mm steel with a lip at the back.

Anyone got any clues?

Ones a one handed job, not one finger as advertised, but not bad, certainly easier than a mates Superwinch lp8500 or whatever it is... it did get a bit easier after use.

Makes me wonder how square my holes are now... 

Mines like that bishbosh. It's like a tug of war. My freespool lever doesnt click in either unless you pull the rope to move the drum. i'm putting it down to my home made mount being sligtly out, but have yet to try it on the back, witch has a bought winch mount.

Thanks folks.

Tony / Dave, would you be so kind as to expand on the out of square business? I removed the wire rope before the winch was ever fitted to a bumper and it was still really difficult to turn, so I don't think it is caused by being bolted down funny. I will of course try the suggestions above just in case, probably at the weekend...

My rear winch is fitted to a Superwinch flatbed mounting plate

so you think the bolts holes would suffice for lining up the winch,

they weren't the winch ended up slightly askew and then the freespool was useless.

I removed it twice before I found the problem with a level and measuring

the freespool is now fine.

The same bolt holes were used just carefully lined up before tightening.