Quick confirmation needed

Guppy

hi,just done this , and in haynes it said defender td sliding end to face axle on the front t/box on the back, but on the 200tdi sliding ends both to t/box according to haynes, although i don't no why nothing to do with mud and water, might be somthing to do with vibrations. :) cheer's defender dinky

Ah right. I missed that bit in the Haynes. I've just replaced my Front Prop after a swapping from a N/A to a 200tdi. I replaced it exactly how it was and am now getting vibrations. My sliding joint is currently at the axle end in what must be the N/A configuration.

So for 200 tdi it's the other way around: Slider at the T/box. More grubby fingers this weekend then! Thanks guys! :)

Ah right. I missed that bit in the Haynes. I've just replaced my Front Prop after a swapping from a N/A to a 200tdi. I replaced it exactly how it was and am now getting vibrations. My sliding joint is currently at the axle end in what must be the N/A configuration.

So for 200 tdi it's the other way around: Slider at the T/box. More grubby fingers this weekend then! Thanks guys! :)

Hi,

Got vibrations on my 200tdi converted 90. The front prop sliding joint is towards the axle, as it was with the TD. Thinking on it, the Disco I robbed had the slider at the t/box end. Thought it was just a "Land Rover thing", perhaps there was a reason for it

after all!

hi,just done this , and in haynes it said defender td sliding end to face axle on the front t/box on the back, but on the 200tdi sliding ends both to t/box according to haynes, although i don't no why nothing to do with mud and water, might be somthing to do with vibrations. :) cheer's defender dinky

Hello again!

Searched my Haynes manual today and can't find where it says this for the 200tdi, I assume it is in the "prop. shaft" section?

Also, looking at Rave (300tdi Def)it does state slide to the t/box, and also that the

uj. yokes should be "out of phase" by (looks like) 45o, due to the short shaft and angles involved.

Can anyone comment further?

hi, in the discovery haynes manuel the 200tdi propshaft slide end t/box on the front same as the back, defender manuel slide end to the front alxe for defender,[i have both manuels]the yokes on the front prop should be about 35 degree difference, on the back they should be in line :) defender dinky

hi, in the discovery haynes manuel the 200tdi propshaft slide end t/box on the front same as the back, defender manuel slide end to the front alxe for defender,[i have both manuels]the yokes on the front prop should be about 35 degree difference, on the back they should be in line :) defender dinky

Unless an automotive engineer can come up with a definitive answer I'm pretty certain logically it makes no difference to any rotational dynamics :rolleyes:

Looks like I've opened a right can of worms here! Are there any grown ups who can show us the way? :-)

A universal joint is only a constant velocity transmission device when both shafts are in line. At any degree of articulation (and worsening with the degree of "bend") a UJ will cause the output shaft to speed up and slow down fractionally from the input shaft's rate of rotation. This is why CVs (constant velocity joints) have replaced UJs for front wheel drive cars, as all series owners will testify. For a prop shaft with two UJs at high degrees of articulation, if the UJs are lined up appropriately, it can experience a point in its rotation where the "speed up" points for both UJs are co-incident, meaning double the problem.

It therefore makes sense for the two "speed up" points to be set as far apart in the shaft's rotation, e.g. opposite each other, or failing that 90o apart.

It makes no difference to this explanation which end you put the sliding joint.