What synthetic rope?

wee_arthur

I have/had

Dyneema (12mm) snapped under extreme load recently twin motor 8274 110ft

Amsteel blue (9.5mm) has never snapped On rear winch XP motored Husky 100ft

Plasma12 (11mm)snapped regularly with single XP 8274 (not an emergency spare)started as 125ft

All are looked after not abused.

had marlow which lasted ages,

then bought two plasma 11mm 125ft front one snapped afer 4 comps rear going strong after 6.

now got 12mm bow rope went down to 100ft.

if i have to buy again ill get 12mm bow rope.

they are always cleaned.

I honestly believe that is an awfull lot of difference from batch to batch with Plasma 11mm, some I've had has been absolutely bombproof but as for another length I might as well bought some nice coloured wool from the knitting shop,

I have had a couple of lengths of Dyneema from Goodwinch, which was not bad really, but is a pig to splice after its been washed a couple of times because it goes all fluffy and cute,

I've just put a 125ft of 12mm Marlow comp rope on the front for tommorows Howlin Wolf, so I hope that holds and washes better.

My competition motor is kept in a shaded garage away from direct sunlight and the ropes are washed regulary, I've heard rumors that Plasmaetc detiorates with sunlight after a period of time, I don't know how long or how true or on what continent but mine are not affected by that.

I would guess that a 110ft of 11mm on a standard drum is getting to the point when its pretty full especially when a bit of sideways is involved when bunching is harder to control.

I would imagine there is absolutely no guarantee or comeback on a rope at all if it does faileasily or prematurely.

My two'penneth.

Hard choice pal, we've all been there.

ive run 125ft or 11mm plasma & 12mm dyneema, ropes always washed after an event & hung out to dry & kept in the house, so far the dyneema has lasted better than the plasma, i currently get approx 1 year of use from a rope before it goes in the bin but normally get 3/4 events on the front & 2/3 events on the rear

I have had Marlow which never broke while i had it and it wasn't new to start with.

I still have Amsteel Blue in the garage which if i could get hold of easily i'd stay with.

On the rear i use 11mm plasma 12 with varying results.

On the front i now use 100ft of 12mm Bowrope bought initially as it is much cheaper than Plasma 12 and so far so good

12mm Marlow on the front that only snapped once when the W/B and I tried to lift the bobtail out of a hole sideways and upwards and rubbing on a sharp bit of car :ph34r: spliced together and still going strong. 11mm plasma from PG Winches that was on the front now on the rear. Both get washed after each event then put back on the motor.

jeff