chassis extention

hi iv started making my trucks wb longer today i hit the first big problem iv got all the chassis cut etc im using the protection and preformance longer radial arm etc so i went for a trip to the local steel stockist with the dimentions of the chassis sections i need...................sorry sir we dont have any box that size so what nowsad.gif the size is 3.1/2 inch by 5.1/2 thanks paul

Slightly off topic, and the opposite of what you're doing, but a friend shortened a rangie chassis to 88" a few years ago. He welded 6mm plate inside the chassis rails (plug welded), welded the chassis rails butt joint, and welded 3mm steel plate over the outside - result, mega strong chassis join!

I cannot stress enough the need to make sure that the joints are really strong, and i suggest you follow a similar route. A long wheelbase landrover gets it strength from the fact that it is one piece of steel, if you weld two beams end to end and load the joint while support the outer ends, you will break the average weld far far sooner than a solid original beam - thats why the extended crane beam at work has 2 thick plates welded down the outsides as well as on the top of the 'I'

BTW, my brothers 109's chassis is made from C section pressings, not the more common four plates welded...so its a landrover orginal spec! manufactured for export to Australia that one was..

Only if appropriate for the vehicle!! the 110 on my drive is C section, my 88 and 109 are 4 plates welded together..is this an 88 chassis we're talking about, or does that just happen to be your username?

Both my 109's are two "c" section channels welded together, one is 1974 and one is 1981.

I've also a '68 109 in the yard at the mo, it's 4 plates welded together, so it could be that the series 3 was the changeover?

G.

the truck was a 88inch hybrid coiler its now a 95inch wb winch truck im not two botherd about it looking like a factory finish its built for a purpose as said before,the chassis was only made longer from the rear spring mounts back and using longer radial arms to gain the wb.the joint was but welded and plated round using 4mm im pritty confident it wont move its had 200amps of mig around it all but time will tell and if it all falls in bits il make it stronger next time smile.gifsmile.gif