how to align the clutch?

I need to change the clutch and as recommended by western i put a new Valeo 130 heavy duty clutch.

Now the my first problem befor to start new working.

- how do I align the clutch? What can I use? i need to buy a special tools where i can find photo or tutorial

kamaleon

what you need is a clutch alignment tool, which is something which has a main piece the inner diameter of the clutch friction plate splines & at its tip the inner diameter of the spigot bearing. If you know a wood turner, get them to make you one out of a short (1') of broom or shovel handle. Thats what I got made for my last clutch job. There are also commercial kits for this sort of thing with an assortment of different diameter bits, google clutch alignment tools & you'll see what I mean, you may be able to borrow or hire one of these. Once you have your tool put the friction plate in place between the drivenplate/flywheel & pressure plate but only do them up enough to hold the friction plate in place so it won't slip but can be levered around, then pop in the CA Tool & adjust the postion so the tool sticks out square then tighten up the bolts holding the pressure plate in place & you're good to go. Sorry if this sounds confusing, I know what I mean. :lol:

Steve

I have find this tool

CP23_enlarged.jpg

Application:

Land Rover Defender 1993-95 (Tool #CP23)

Pilot dia. inch: 0.75

Pilot dia. Metric: 19.05

Spline count: 23

Spline decimal: 1

Spline inch: 1

Spline metric: 25.4

i try to made this with a piece of wood o metal

thanks @ all

kamaleon

Only last question:

- why i must to align the clutch, what problems could I have if not aligns it?

cu

kamaleon

You won't be able to get the gearbox back in.

Incidentally, you can align the clutch by eye if you can get your head level witht the flywheel when fitting it, I've doen it countless times. Admittedly not as easy as using an alignment tool but it's possible and is less expensive, :rolleyes: .

You can also use a socket on the end of an extension, one that will fit into the spigot bearing in the flywheel, then, as Lars L suggests, wrap the extension bar in insulation tape to make it the same diameter as the splines in the driven plate. Simple but effective.

Mark.