XKZ or Spline drive?

Cartman

Stripping down the Disco 1 front hubs this evening and they are held on to the axle tube by six screws per side of about 8mm thread. The heads on these seem to have more edges than Torx so what are they?

Just fancy enlarging my tool collection really ;)

Stripping down the Disco 1 front hubs this evening and they are held on to the axle tube by six screws per side of about 8mm thread. The heads on these seem to have more edges than Torx so what are they?

Just fancy enlarging my tool collection really ;)

If you mean the bolts that hold the swivel housing to the axle, they are M10x1.5 thread with a 14 mm bi hex head.

So a 14mm ring spanner will undo them, you wont get a socket in there.

If you mean the bolts that hold the swivel housing to the axle, they are M10x1.5 thread with a 14 mm bi hex head.

ah, that'll be the chappy, I remember now that I had to use a ring spanner to get on the heads,

Yep I can see that a socket won't fit but I am always looking for an excuse to enlarge the tool collection. It was more a question of 'what head spec are they?. :D

Now I need more tool drawers to store all my stuff!

A ratchet ring may help once they're cracked off, but they'll be threadlocked in.

Be very careful using ratchet spanners, unless they're the type that you can flick the lever to change direction. I've seen someone ratchet a bolt out, up against a stop then couldn't get the spanner off the bolt, and couldn't wind the bolt back in!

To crack them off you need a long handled 14mm bi-hex head spanner, they'll take some swinging on.

Get a good quality spanner, a cheap one will round off and create a whole world of problems!

Also, pick away at the rust around the bottom of the head, to make the spanner a good fit.

I bought one specifically for doing this job, 14mm ring one end 17mm ring the other, with a long handle.

Can't find it in the catalogue but this one is similar:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=hand&item_ID=4607&group_ID=523&store=&dir=catalog