Me 'new' Mk2 Front Winch Bumper

Hybrid_From_Hell

Hi All,

Prob a follow on from the fitting of the North Off Raod 'Challenge Wings' Thread,

having done them (and am very very pleased with them to date) the old Winch Bumper just

A - didn't look right and

B - was causing me lost approach angles etc, so I had a good fink as to what I could do.

I did consider changing the winch, but it really is hugely powerfull, and does 90% of what I want,

and I really in the end, decided to stick with what I had.... and make it as good a job as I could.

Also bear in mind I don't have 'CNC' 'NC' 'folding presses', 'laser cutting' etc - this is a DIY job with grinders,

lumps of off cut plate etc, a lathe and a welder / plasma, and an Ancient 1950s Mill, as Daan would say

I have 'CNC v1' (Cardboard Aided Design :lol: )... I'd love more kit but it just can't ..be for all the normal reasons :(

So, Here was it before :

post-22-125356916998_thumb.jpg

And I didn't like it,

The "Wings" looked wrong, the gap too much between them and the NOR Wing bases

The NOR wing vertical tubes ended in 'no mans land', and I reckoned I could lift the winch up a tad

and back a tad as well, ....so 1st the wings had to go :

Wings got the chop, ....looked a bit better :

post-22-125357030663_thumb.jpg

Then the ends got cleaned up with grinder, ....looked better still :

post-22-125357027881_thumb.jpg

And then it got silly :lol: ....

I stared at it and really decided the side plates bolting it to the bumper had to go, oh

and the recovery points, erm,... and the fillets at the front, ...and then I had basically

just the original tray left :huh: ...which I was ok with :lol:

So, I remade the mounts for each side, and welded them in place with the center unit

a tad higher, 20mm Steel bar was bent into 2x D loops, holes drilled through the mounts and then they

were welded right around the outside and along on the inside, at the 'jaunty angle' suggested

on a Thread here where I asked (and took) the forums collective advice. The mountings are 2x each side

through the standard Dumb iron M10mm x 12.9s, and 1 extra welded to tube on the chassis M12 x 12.9s.

Plates out of 6mm were shaped and welded into the outersides - the horizontal fitting through

the chassis leg further back, M12 x 12.9s, and then the bottom of the NOR Wing tube drops

into tube welded on the winch bumper mounts, and is also 12.9 bolted through the wing tube

(tubed inside) which then in turn mounts the the top of the chassis with 2x 12.9s M12,

the guard was lifted and tweaked, and the A Bar fitted with removable top

links to the NOR Wing bars etc for added "Pushability"

All in all I have gained about as much approach as I can with this unit,

and a quick coat of paint, and bolt up now means it look like this :

post-22-125356976244_thumb.jpg post-22-125356977341_thumb.jpg

post-22-125356978936_thumb.jpg post-22-125356982069_thumb.jpg

So, from this to this :

post-22-125356916998_thumb.jpg post-22-125356980694_thumb.jpg

The plates on the ends are unboltable, I will make up some steel rods weld to them

and use them when off road for wrapping the plasma around rather than always rewinding

it back on the drum, I was originally going to add a tube from the bumper end up to the

wing edge but A - when I got there it didn't look as good as the thought in my mind :lol: , and

B - it just gave less aproach angle, .....so I binned that plan A frame was hacked

about a bit to get the height where I wnated it and the light mounts removed and linished over

As I said, nothing special, but just basic fab work from me garage :)

Yes there are people on here who have access on a daily basis to kit we dream about having

and don't, but simple stuff can be done with a bit (read lot) of time and effort and simple tools

Nige

Simple and functional - a nice clean job. :)

Am "planning" (read: never gonna happen) going for the NOR wings, but making a flip-front for it instead. Fold up, to take the inner-wings with them. Un-fettered engine-bay access. That's the theory, anyway... Be nice if I could roll that work into the engine-swap which is up-coming, make life a bit easier. Megasquirt is sitting in my bedroom, taunting me... gotta get on with it.

lumps of off cut plate etc, a lathe and a welder / plasma, and an Ancient 1950s Mill, as Daan would say

I have 'CNC v1' (Cardboard Aided Design :lol: )... I'd love more kit but it just can't ..be for all the normal reasons :(

Damn, that sounds like adream workshop to me, mcu more than what I have :blink:

20mm Steel bar was bent into 2x D loops,

Plates out of 6mm were shaped and welded into the outersides

I hope you realize that you are welding to some 2 mm wall box section...

only other comment is that you can loose the jack brackets for a bit more approach, in favour of some holes in the bumper to jack off instead. The jack brackets accounted for 5 kg weightsaving when I did my chassis.

Daan

I did mine with a vice and a piece of pipe - clamp the round bar in the vice, slide pipe over and start to bend. Retract the pipe a bit and bend some more, repeat until finished.

I cocked up the first one, but the next two were spot on.

Yes, I made a bending thingumy wotsit,

Weld the 20mm bar to it, heat up to Ferkin hell temp, and tehn bend a bit at a time and

keep the heat on it good and heavy so red hot where bending, drop the heat and you end

up with a non perfectly round bend, Oxy Acet one hand, bar (mit Welding glove :lol:) in other

practise makes them better.

A La :

post-22-125374249825_thumb.jpg

Could bend a few more if anyone wants from whats left for a drink, PM me

(now have about 5 sizes FFS :lol: )

Nige