Heat!

Paul64

Hi,

On a long distance trip at the moment and noticed a lot of heat coming up from the drivers seat box. Had a look underneath but can't see anything wrong. However, I noticed that the low box/Diff lock gear stick and surrounding metal is hot but the main gearstick just slightly warm. Is that usual when running at higher road speeds? I have a Defender 110 CSW, 200Tdi and I'm cruising at about 65mph. She spends most of her life off road, so such a long road trip is rare. No problems with performance, she is just throwing out more heat than I have noticed before.

Thanks in advance, Paul

Thanks guys. Well, I've learned something new today regarding the vents. I always keep vents and windows open to let the air pass through. I will try the vents only tomorrow as I still have another 400 kms to drive. It was about 28 0C today and it must have been double in the cab. My ar*e was cooking!

So do you think this is handbrake rather that transfer box Mike? Or is it a combination of the two?

Cheers, Paul

A properly setup LR drum handbrake shouldn't rub at all and so shouldn't be generating any heat. You're more likely to get heat build up from a transverse disk brake arrangement where the pads float continually on the disk. With a seized caliper I'd judge that to be a fire risk.

Thanks guys. Well, I've learned something new today regarding the vents. I always keep vents and windows open to let the air pass through. I will try the vents only tomorrow as I still have another 400 kms to drive. It was about 28 0C today and it must have been double in the cab. My ar*e was cooking!

So do you think this is handbrake rather that transfer box Mike? Or is it a combination of the two?

Cheers, Paul

Yes Paul64I do.

Why. Because on our first to southern Africa trips the heat from the seat box burnt my legs when wearing shorts. Aftyer the first trip I fitted an oil coolet to the gearbox. Still excessive heat.

On our last trip with the X-Eng brake fitted there was very little heat even at 45 deg C ambiant.

mike

Thanks again, I will check it tomorrow. Several months ago the handbrake was pretty ineffective, so someone adjusted it for me. It works fine now, but is it possible to over adjust so the pads are touching the disc? There doesn't feel like any drag.

Cheers, Paul

You mean touching the the drum, and yes it is possible.

The shoe position is adjusted behind the drum similar to a normal wheel brake, and the handle throw is adjusted by the fixings on the end of the cable. Shoes should be just shy of touching the drum, and the handle should begin to engage at the first click :)

The gearbox generates heat but since it is bolted to the engine it will soon warm up from conducted heat from the engine. So yes, they do get hot and then radiate heat to the uninsulated seatbox.

Thanks, but don't you think its odd that only the low box/diff lock lever is hot but not the gearstick?

You mean touching the the drum, and yes it is possible.

The shoe position is adjusted behind the drum similar to a normal wheel brake, and the handle throw is adjusted by the fixings on the end of the cable. Shoes should be just shy of touching the drum, and the handle should begin to engage at the first click :)

Thanks. So is the position of the shoe will be a case of trial and error as you can't see the actual position when adjusting? My LR is not hindered at all when rolling forward without the handbrake on? When I get going this morning I will check out the heat from the handbrake drum.

Cheers, Paul

Thanks. So is the position of the shoe will be a case of trial and error as you can't see the actual position when adjusting? My LR is not hindered at all when rolling forward without the handbrake on? When I get going this morning I will check out the heat from the handbrake drum.

Cheers, Paul

If your car is rolling freely it sounds like the handbrake is correctly adjusted.

Correct adjustment procedure is to screw the adjuster in until it's tight and the brake drum is locked, then back the screw off until the drum turns freely. Of course this needs to be done with a rear wheel jacked up, the handbrake off and the car suitably chocked to prevent it rolling.

HTH

Mark.

what about insulating inside the seat boxes, surely this will disperse some of that heat, maybe foil backed foam, etc??

Thanks for the idea. Didn't get to check the handbrake drum. It was chucking it down with rain for the full 400km's. That said there was little heat today, so maybe the cool air was cooling things down.