RRC - Unusual seating - Opinions saught

ThreeSheds

Hi,

I would like opinions please. I have removed the rear trim and seats from my RRC and fitted the LPG tank in the rear fotwell so that the rear seats cannot be used even if they could be re-fitted.

Now I find that for one weekend only I need to carry a third person, and so I am thinking of putting a seat facing rearwards as shown:

gallery_3439_704_17224.jpg

gallery_3439_704_81503.jpg

I am thinking of mounting it with a top-hat section below and across the (aluminium) floor and some 2mm sheet steel across the top. There will be a lap belt fitted to the seat mechanism.

My questions are:

Is it legal?

Is it safe?

Other points I have considered:

As far as I am aware, a rearward facing seat does not need to have a seatbelt.

My log book does not quote the number of seats.

If you know the answers then that would be brilliant, but I am also interested in opinions please.

Cheers,

Roger

Is it comfortable?

No. :huh:

Ahh - but I won't be sitting in it ;):D

(actually I have tried it and it's fine - the legs are positioned a little strangely but it's better than I expected :)

Steve200tdi - it's from my BMW316i. I was thinking of going to get one from the scrappy, but then I thought I could just nick it from the BM for a while. And yes - the seats in the BMW are very comfortable :)

I'm not in any way an expert but i would be thinking about what would happen in a head on collision. All the force of the person in the seat will be directed on the seat back and the ratchet that holds it upright.In a forward facing seat all the force goes into the seat belt therefore the person in the back would crush the front passengers. I would be thinking of bracing the top of the seat back in some way.

Kris

My Dakar kit conversion of a RRC has a plywood bench seat in the rear and lap straps so....

* The lap strap will be fine.

* The seat, in your case, will need to be doubly strong and secure given that it will be taking a crash load rather than a seat belt.

* The seat belt anchorage needs to pick up off the chassis if possible. The SVA man was very careful to check this and even asked me to add additional strength.

Steve

Hi Kris,

The positioning of the third seat in the centre is such that in a head on collision, the it would 'recline' over the LPG tank, but would pass between the front passengers - and the occupant would be restrained by the lap belt. I would have thought that the third passenger would actually have a better chance than anyone else in a head on?

Pat_Pending - that's why I am going to tell the insurance and take the hit for a 'variation'.. :)

Steve_D - Good point! Maybe I would be more legal (but, perhaps a little ironically - less safe) without the lap belt since my interpretation of the law is that rearward facing rear seats do not need seatbelts at all. The proposed position of the seat would be such that it would be difficult to mount it to the chassis. oh, and the seat base has built in lower mounting points for seatbelts so I am happy with the strength in that area