Machining spring spacers...

jmattley

From using the search button etc, I've gathered that a few people have turned their own spring spacers, I'm thinking of making some for my 200 disco since I'm about to stick some 235 85s on (I know all the tyre implications :P).

Would anyone be able to very kindly give me the dimensions of the spacers they've made? An engineers drawing would be smashing!

Cheers ducks!

With the box section idea, that idea passed my mind, but I have access to lather and millers etc, so machining some out of solid steel like that would be just as easy, plus, in my opinion, it would look a bit more professional.

Are the retaining plate bolt holes on the front the same width apart as on the rear?

Are the retaining plate bolt holes on the front the same width apart as on the rear?

Yes. Age for age all the bolts are the same front and rear - even the rear of a 110 is the same (though the actual spring plate is different - bigger spring diameter) as I now have a set of Mill Services lifters - originally for the front of a 90 - on the back of my 110 :)

As you said it looks a lot more like a proper job than some lash-up made out of box section, though the end result is much the same. I've also seen box section buckle when used like this though a lot of people use it without problems.

I don't have any here to measure but the spring diameter doesn't matter - what you need is something that fits inside the bottom of the spring cup and "one size fits all". Anybody with a gash 90 or Discovery spring cup lying around could tell you. Mine are attached to my vehicle and several miles away unfortunately.

Cheers for the quick replies everyone, don't suppose any of you know off the top of your head the spring diameters or the distance between the 2 bolt holes at all?

Hi, not sure where you are located but I have just taken a set off a Disco one last night, if your local to Brum you could come & have a look, will be putting them on ebay over this week.

Thanks

John

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old post and the guy who started it might not want a reply now but I am doing the same spacer lift on my disco and have been researching the sizes of the spacers and I found this..

My link

Just thought others may be interested..lol

Just use your original spring locating cups as a template for diameters, hole sizes and positions etc.

I have to say though that it has to be cheaper to modify what you have, in the same way the Gwyn Lewis ones are done. This is providing of course you have the requisite welding skills. Make them whatever height you wish, mine are 1.5 inch :i-m_so_happy:

Or just save yourself the time and effort for £20 fleabay 1" billet type or 2" billet type

Billets of any steel/ally are not cheap nowadays, bloke must be nicking billets from work machining bar ends in his lunch hour :lol:

There are pre-made sets on eBay from £20... is it really worth making your own?

Fair point especially with the price of metals rocketing up! It's probably just cost me more to make rock sliders than buy them