200TDi Preheat Relay

gruntus

Gents,

If you havent read my last post I am ready to put my rebilt 200tdi into the chassis.

It was originally a 2.5 TD with basic glow plugs for starting.

After working on my old fellas disco a while ago I discovered that the 300TDi uses a glow plug / preheat relay for starting which also keeps the glow plugs powered for a further 5-10 seconds after starting.

I would like to fit a similar system on my 200TDi for optimum starting.

Has anyone else fitted the above arrangement before?

If so what components will I need to rob at the scrappies from a Disco donor?

Again as always your advice and information is greatly appreciated. :)

best regards

G :)

You should only need to get the timer relay it's self and the base/plug it sits in plus at least 6" of the wiring tomake it easier to retro fit.

I have just transfered the one off my Discovery into my 90 and it was just a case of connecting the wires to the appropriate places.

Pete.

Gents,

If you havent read my last post I am ready to put my rebilt 200tdi into the chassis.

It was originally a 2.5 TD with basic glow plugs for starting.

After working on my old fellas disco a while ago I discovered that the 300TDi uses a glow plug / preheat relay for starting which also keeps the glow plugs powered for a further 5-10 seconds after starting.

I would like to fit a similar system on my 200TDi for optimum starting.

Has anyone else fitted the above arrangement before?

If so what components will I need to rob at the scrappies from a Disco donor?

Again as always your advice and information is greatly appreciated. :)

best regards

G :)

Like i said in answer to the other post - You dont really need one. My 200tdi starts fine without the glow plugs even in the winter over here and as i've wired it up like the TD, i can always pre-heat on the key if i wanted to. Dont worry about it for now. Fit the engine, see how you go and fit it later if you need it.

Being in Fife and winter approaching i would be tempted to fit the relay and the small loom, as Red90 says this then fits into your exisiting TD harness

The odd thing is my family in Kent seem to get worse winter weather (snow and the like) than here in Fife! :D

I put a 200TDi in my 1990 County about 18 months ago (replacing a 2.5TD). I considered the pre-heat relay, but was advised that it didn't really need it. As it was I left the wiring as it was (a half turn on the key gives the pre-heat) but in reality, it very rarely needs heating (even in the winter) and starts on the turn of the key without any hassles (or any heating!)

Just my 2d!

Cheers

Peter

My last 90 had a 2.5NA and i ran it all winter without any maintenence or checks or anything (slapped wrist i know) but that ran fine, and never failed to start even on the coldest mornings (the heater was a different matter, that occasionally got warm just as i arrived at work!)

i think as long as the vehicle is serviced at reccomended intervals and the glow plugs/coolant replaced when they need it, you should be fine.