swivel housing ball

im in need of a pair of swivel housing balls . the ones on my defender project have lost all there chrome and are a bit pitted. is it possible to get them recromed if so does anyone know a place near cleckheaton who could do it.?

or which is the cheapest place to buy a set.

thanks everyone for your help in advance.

im in need of a pair of swivel housing balls . the ones on my defender project have lost all there chrome and are a bit pitted. is it possible to get them recromed if so does anyone know a place near cleckheaton who could do it.?

or which is the cheapest place to buy a set.

thanks everyone for your help in advance.

I dont know if I would bother getting the balls re-chromed. For the cost of a kit from one of the supliers like Padocks you could strip and re-build in one hit. I mentioned Padocks because I have recently fitted one full kit to the ofside of my 200 TDI Disco. Most of the supliers use coated balls these days instead of chrome, time will tell if this is a better move. Good luck with the muckiest job on a Landy, those axle end bolts are fun to get out, two spanners linked, or one spanner welded to the bolt head comes to mind. :huh:

I've recently fitted a Paddock's kit to both axle sides (Teflon coated balls). Probably the cheapest you can get. The kit does contain Britpart and Karsons parts, not all that great. I would suggest to buy a (cheap) separate swivel ball and the rest of the bits OEM/branded (like Timken bearing in stead of Britpart). On one of the swivel balls, on the inside the material was grinded off out off center. Bit of a bad production job but no real problem. It just tells you this is not a OEM quality part!

Cheers

Marco

Just a note to beware of the cheapest swivel balls.... I have recently replaced both on my front axle. I was quite happy to pay for decent ones, but time and availability led to me buying the first ones I could find.

They are coated balls and they are rough - so much so that even with all new seals and even adding a bit of RTV around the outer seal retainer, they still leak!!! The other parts fitted were all Bearmach and have been used before without issue....

Land Rover orphanage are selling off some old stock cheap at the moment - not sure if Rangie swivels fit? but I picked up some new chrome swivels from them for £8 each!

I notice at the moment they have brand new freelander and 2 door rangie windscreens for £9.99! (on thier ebay shop)

Land Rover orphanage are selling off some old stock cheap at the moment - not sure if Rangie swivels fit? but I picked up some new chrome swivels from them for £8 each!

I notice at the moment they have brand new freelander and 2 door rangie windscreens for £9.99! (on thier ebay shop)

Hard to beat the price but another option that apparently works is to pull them, put JB weld on them, sand and polish, and they supposedly work as good as new... and this time put on some gaiters. :).

and this time put on some gaiters. :).

Sorry but I'm not a fan of gaiters - they don't keep everything out, and anything that gets in stays in. I had some on my 109 once - emptied 2 kilos of sand out of one side and then removed them altogether :rolleyes:

Hard to beat the price but another option that apparently works is to pull them, put JB weld on them, sand and polish, and they supposedly work as good as new...

Yep, been there yonks ago with my first Landy :lol: JB weld was the latest greatest fix all at the time, so had to try it.

To be fair it does do a reasonable job but is pretty time consuming. You need to make sure it's sanded without low spots or it will still leak.