megasquirt, pulley sensor

getting tyred of the flapper system, it runs, but fueling is wrong for the 4.6 and the dizzy is on its way out (new cap every 3000 mls)

so i want to go megasquirt + EDIS. heard that the ms ecu can be fited ina flapper housing like that ican reuse the plug + saves a lot of soldering.

my only concern a the moment is the crank sensor, the easier route that most people seem to chose ist the sensor on the bottom pulley. seems like a good idea, but i am not sure whether it will work well off-road. having spend some time yesterday to uncover my timing marks from all the grime i am a bit concerned about the sensor functioning offroad, being covered with mud and water?

kind regards

orange

Well I'm running Edis on mine with the crank sensor on the bottom pulley. Only tried it out first on Sunday but so far so good, and it doesnt seem to mind water (throught the lake at slab with water up over the bonnet). I even managed to stall it in the lake, and it fired right up again straight away.....

It doesnt care about water or gloopy mud, but apparently they dont like sticks and stones getting jammed in there etc. All the ford stuff is very well sealed anyway and requires no further sealing.

HTH

Jon

somebody (HFH./FF?) was asking about sensors and fitting inside the dizzy - maybe it is time for an update?

what about fiting senser inside the timing cover to use the existing teeth on the crack pulley (although I aqm not sure how you get the TDC) Although nice and oily, it should never get clogged with mud, horse shooes, little boy scouts or stones.

somebody (HFH./FF?) was asking about sensors and fitting inside the dizzy - maybe it is time for an update?

what about fiting senser inside the timing cover to use the existing teeth on the crack pulley (although I aqm not sure how you get the TDC) Although nice and oily, it should never get clogged with mud, horse shooes, little boy scouts or stones.

Its not possible with Edis, but is possible with Megasquirt. Means you have to lock the advance within the dizzy.

thanks for your answer john. sounds good. not too concerned about stones and sticks, since i have a pretty good steering guard taht would keep them away.

since you are also running edis, what did you do with the distributor?

regards

orange

Its still there as you need to retain the gear at the bottom to drive the oil pump. Its just got an old dizzy cap siliconed onto it to keep the cr@p out, and the old cap and leads are in the truck as a "get me home" in case the whole system goes tits up!

Jon

Its still there as you need to retain the gear at the bottom to drive the oil pump. Its just got an old dizzy cap siliconed onto it to keep the cr@p out, and the old cap and leads are in the truck as a "get me home" in case the whole system goes tits up!

Jon

seems like a good idea to have a fall back ignition system on board :rolleyes:

seems like a good idea to have a fall back ignition system on board :rolleyes:

Nev has just fitted a MS system to his 4.6 comp racer that means if it ever fails he can replug his old lucus ECU back in.

find the Sidbury hill post he talkes about it on there.

Fridge and Dave H sorted it all out for him.

Nev has just fitted a MS system to his 4.6 comp racer that means if it ever fails he can replug his old lucus ECU back in.

sounds interesting. afaik the ms ecu can be fittet in the flapper ecu box, therefoire keeping the lucas plug. some modifications are needed in the harness eg the air temp sensor (normally part of the afm) needs to be wired in. would be interesting to know how he solved that so it can be switched back and forth.

sounds interesting. afaik the ms ecu can be fittet in the flapper ecu box, therefoire keeping the lucas plug. some modifications are needed in the harness eg the air temp sensor (normally part of the afm) needs to be wired in. would be interesting to know how he solved that so it can be switched back and forth.

Don't know how its goes over my head I stick to driving but Mr Haynes talks about it as if its all very simple :blink:

Like This http://www.rovernet.net/asp/megasquirt.asp

Phil

The MS will fit into a 14CU case apperently but not in a 14CUX case.

I took the socket out of the 14CUX and fitted onto another box which now has the MS in it!

The loom needed a few changes which were easy and done in a couple of slow evenings.

EDIS is easy to fit and wire and along with the coil packs. I used an EDIS8 supplied by Bill S, although you can drive to EDIS 4 as well, i took the sensors and coil packs and capacitors from mid 90's mondeo's.

Trigger wheel from Bill S and modded by me!

All in all a very easy conversion and very reliable so far.

Can't see why it took me so long to change to!!!

My ignition timing is pretty good now but fuelling is still off, i installed an LC-1 O2 sensor as well at the time of fitting for tuning purposes.

If any one wants to see my set up please feel free to come round and have a look.

The only difficult thing was tuning for start up when its -2 degrees.........................

Cheers

Nev

P.S. my 4.6 has died in a big oily smokey way :(

The sensor on EDIS is magnetic (Variable Reluctance commonly referred to as "VR") so water and mud do not bother it. As with anything, tw*tting it with a rock or bits of tree isn't going to do it the world of good but it's pretty robust as long as the sensor remains close enough to the wheel you're OK. Mind you, if something manages to damage it that badly you've probably got bigger problems :blink:

The MS will also handle hall effect and optical pickups as well as old fashioned points.