Tool for awkward nuts?

Sorry title not better but I wondered if there is any recognised tool for getting nuts onto bolts in really awkward places.

I am trying to get the nut onto the middle bolt of the bottom bracket on my spare wheel carrier. It is at a point where you cannot get at it head on because of the back wall of the rear crossmember and cannot really get into it from the side because of the main chassis.

The added "bonus" is if you drop anything you have only a modest chance of ever seeing it again as it drops into the main body of the crossmember.

I have tried fingers, long nosed pliers, universal joint on socket set. There simply does not seem room to do anything. I have also tried cursing and screaming at it but it will not play!

The worst thing is I know I have done it once before when I put it on the first time so perhaps I need to chill, have aa cup of tea and then have another go.

If anyone has any bright ideas it would be wonderful!!

I know a fella who heated up a spanner and bent the head round an obtuse angle to reach the places other spanners would not.

Sorry i can not picture this, the spare wheel carrier on my 90 goes straight through the back door and is not a problem for access. you got any pictures that might make it clearer?

Guest wunntenn

I usually stick some masking tape across the back of a ratchet spanner, pop the nut in so the tape sticks to the nut, get the spanner in however - could be on a stick or whatver reaches and gently fiddle with it.

Thanks guys. I am getting the idea. I will look and see what I can fashion with wire and superglue over the weekend. As you say, if I can only get the first couple of turns to take then I can be a bit more physical with it to get it tightened.

I feel cheered. Now switch to Blue Peter mode :-)

Bah, baaaaahhhhhhh, baaggh.

Did this job a while ago, and remember the verrry same nut being a right fiddly bugger to get in place.

What's bugging me is that I can't exactly remember how I did it!

But it was fiddly, I think I stuck the nut (used one of them with a washer part of it for ease) into the spanner ring with some assembly fluid (sticky gunk specifically for holding fiddly wee blighters in place, like treacle) I may or may not have procured from the RAF.

Then wedged the nut with a screwdriver and rattled the bolt up with a windy gun.

If I remember rightly you can't get your finger to it, it's a case of manipulating the nut into place and trying to catch the threads by turning the bolt. And praying the bolt doesn't knock the off/out of whatever it's precariously positioned with!

As said above, if you drop it, you won't get it back out again.