Its that wet foot time of year again

Having spent a few years emptying out the deep mats in the footwells on my 90CSW after heavy rain, I have finally decided to do something about it. Wet feet are loosing their appeal for me (beware : some challenge winch men won't understand this!).

I have searched the forum and I have read the Water Ingress Manual (not in German!).

Can anyone confirm that the water which emerges onto my right foot from the throttle pedal is likely to be coming from the bonnet pull grommet, or is there somewhere else I should also be looking?

Cheers

Martin

It could be coming in through the bulkhead vents, there's a foam seal strip stuck around the inside edge of the moveable vent which seals against a raised lip on the aperture in the bulkhead. After a while they can come unstuck and droop down leaving a gap to let the rain in.

Easy enough to check by opening the vent and taking a look at the underside with a small mirror.

I had this on mine, I just took the vent covers off and re-glued them with Evostick, been OK ever since.

In my case the water was coming from cracks at the top corner in the rubber windscreen surround. The water must've been running down the windscreen surround and leaking out behind the dash to finally emerge just above my right foot. Some black silicon sealant sorted it out.

Can anyone confirm that the water which emerges onto my right foot from the throttle pedal is likely to be coming from the bonnet pull grommet, or is there somewhere else I should also be looking?

When mine did this it was leaking through the driver's footwell top right seam, having run across the wing and under the bonnet. I used a tin of aerosol bituminuous spray-on gutter sealant (it runs into gaps too) - sorted.

A few gallons of water later I have discovered that it is coming in though foam seal around the brake and clutch pedal boxes. Access is pretty awful from below the bonnet to apply any form of sealant. Anyone got any ideas how to seal this area without having to dismantle the brake/clutch systems (which I don't feel confident doing at all!).

Martin

Errrm :unsure: (Scratching head valiantly and hoping no adult is watching on) I dried area by parking car in my garage for 2 days and used a tiny paint brush pluss a sticky stuff looking like asphalt or better still coal tar. I did it over 4- 5 strokes and I feel like I could swim over the Atlantic ocean!! ;)

A few gallons of water later I have discovered that it is coming in though foam seal around the brake and clutch pedal boxes. Access is pretty awful from below the bonnet to apply any form of sealant. Anyone got any ideas how to seal this area without having to dismantle the brake/clutch systems (which I don't feel confident doing at all!).

Martin

You should be able to get a new seal over the pedal pad and loosen the pedal box enough from inside (without taking pipes off) to fit it. Give it a good siliconing before fitting, if you can, then don't tighten up properly until its nearly set.