Impossible question, but would value opinions

ThreeSheds

Hi,

This question is impossible to answer I know, but I would value opinions or similar experiences.

My 3.9 has started weeping coolant from the head gasket. It is coming out of a point just where the engine number is stamped. There is no sign of oil in the water or water in the oil. I have just done 20 miles at speed to pressurise the system and it is still only showing as a dribble - and in ten minutes parked since it has not yet dripped.

As it stands it doesn't look significant, but next weekend I am hoping to drive to Builth Wells and back - probably doing 500 miles in all and I was wondering (and this is the question) - Does the team think that it will make it?

If several people come back with tales of weeping head gaskets going on for ever I will risk it - if on the other hand most people have found such a weep to be a precursor to disastrous failure, I won't use it - which would be a shame...

Cheers,

Roger

The answer is indeed 'impossible to know'. Could go on forever, could go completely as you pull off the drive.

You could consider using K-Seal to see what happens - its one of the few that does what it claims & that's from personal experience - but at some point you know its going to be a gasket replacement job.

Check your breakdown & recovery membership before leaving home!

http://www.kalimex.co.uk/section.html?secpath=01.04.&pgid=17

You could consider using K-Seal to see what happens - its one of the few that does what it claims & that's from personal experience <..>

http://www.kalimex.co.uk/section.html?secpath=01.04.&pgid=17

Cheers - just shot out and bought some before they close - I'll try it once the engine cools.. :)

replacing the gasket & having the head or block faces skimmed would be a bettr more permanent solution.

I agree, but my fun weekend starts on Friday morning - then there is Wales off-roading two weeks after that, then a club trial two weeks after that... :blink:

I have a 'spare' V8 in the garage which I am intending to rebuild as a replacement this winter, so if the one that's in it can last by hook or by crook, I'll take it :)

Its worth checking the head bolts torque and on the basis that the leak is coming from the gasket head to block interface then i can't see how it could get any worse than a slight dribble.

Removing the thermostat will reduce the temperature and hence pressure in the system but if the weathers a bit nippy then it could be an uncomfortable long journey.

Well a quick update:

Before I went out yesterday to fetch some K Seal there was only a small indication of a leak. After the trip to 'the Toy Shop' (about 8 miles) a damp patch about 4" dia appeared on the paving slab under the car. I think I had caught it in the really early stages :)

So - I put the K Seal in the engine tonight and topped up with about 1/2 a pint of water and went for a 20 mile motorway drive to make sure it got up to operating temp (that's what the instructions say) and then parked up in a slightly different spot so that I could witness any leaks - two hours later there is no sign of a leak :D

So the K Seal has worked :) and I am going to risk it at the weekend, but I will be starting the overhaul of the spare engine ASAP - since I can't see it lasting too long with a damaged head gasket - even it I have stopped the leak it's only an aspirin job I reckon...