Hydro assit steering

chris-b

This has proberbly been discused before but has anyone had any experiences with the Llama 4x4 Hydro assist steering kit, dont want to go full hydro because of the mechanical link that alot of event organisers like, the Llama kit looks the part and seems to be reasonable value for money but I have never seen it installed on a truck.

Thanks Chris

This has proberbly been discused before but has anyone had any experiences with the Llama 4x4 Hydro assist steering kit, dont want to go full hydro because of the mechanical link that alot of event organisers like, the Llama kit looks the part and seems to be reasonable value for money but I have never seen it installed on a truck.

Thanks Chris

Come on someone, help him out :rolleyes:

U reckon it is a quick, easy and neta job. It is no where near as powerful as hydro could go but that is deliberate. It does not slow the steering to a point that it can't be driven at any speed. It is cleasrly an assist rather than all the steering and will help turn bigger tyres and take a lot of strain off the steering box centre shaft that is so prone to twisting.

The power has also been held back so that it doesn't require everything elkse to be beefed up to cope with it making it a simple bolt on kit with no other modification needed.

There is a number of kits out there now so if you go to a Howling round you will see some in use....

David

Thanks for thst David, what % aditional assist / steering power would you say the kit provides? and is it a simple bolt on DIY job?

Yes it is a simple bolt on ( and off again ) modification that no special tools are required for. A normal LR owners toolbox is all you will need and full fitting instructions come with it.....

Percentage increase is a bloody good question and one that to be honest I don't have an accurate answer to - let me try and think about it and I will post again...

David

I have one of Davids kits even though he is a Baggies fan, never mind.

They offer just enough assist without putting to much power through the system. Easy to fit, I think mine took about an hour start to finish and at first I was a bit sceptic but after a season in the Howling Wolf I most certainly recommend it.

I have a kit adapted to fit on my disco (looks nothing like a disco) and it has been trouble free and easy to fit seeing as it is really for a Defender.Dont go looking for one finger steering when stood on one front wheel as that is not what it is about!

Are you guys running standard pumps or uprated ? (zf etc)

G

Standard,the trouble with upgrading is you can then run a bigger ram that will steer quicker,but of course you will want it bigger still so you can steer even faster,then you will need an even bigger pump.......and so it goes on.If you are looking for one finger steering on its nose then look elsewhere. If you are looking to just improve your standard set up and remove some of the strain then the ram assist is the way forward.

You will have entered the final round Gordon?

i'm offshore for the next round undortunately :(

the reason i ask about the hydro assist, is i already run a disco 2 box with a ZF74, so might make a ram up to go on.

i'm entering the Northern Clubman on sunday :)

G

• 1 year later...

looking at fitting one of these to my range rover , i have a terrafirma defender rtc steering damper relocated to the front is it a simple case of removing this damper and fit the ram in its place?

i know these are advertised off road only obviously for insurance reasons, but for those that have them hows the car on the road as your obviously not running a steering damper now ?

:) thank you in advance

They say on the site they fit to the original steering damper mounts, bolt on fitment etc, so I doubt it will be more complicated than that.

As for not having a steering damper.... a lot of people run without one and have no issues, plus a hydraulic cylinder is going to act pretty damned well at damping I would have thought.....