high security door locks

hobson

I remember seeing some years ago, some replacement lock barrels that were kind of like the barrels on a bicycle 'd' lock, the keys were just like the 'd' lock keys (kind of tubular)

a friend was fitting them to a Ford XR4i, but he'd got them off the net and they were available for other cars.

does anyone have any idea about these replacement barrels? if they're available, and if they're any good?

i've looked on google but can't find much....

I will be following this with interest, as its something I have tried researching before, and couldn't find a supplier.

I once saw a Defender at my garage that had different barrels fitted, and when I mentioned it to my mechanics, both of them said that the high security barrels wont actually make much of a difference, as it is so easy to just smack the door handles off.

I dont think there is much that you can do to stop people getting through a Defenders door sad.gif even if you fit security barrels and additional padlocks or even Mortice locks, you can always still bend the whole door frame if you were determined to get in.

Saying all that, I will still fit extra locks & barrels, as these and the combination of my Clutch Claw & battery cut off switch might just make theives move on.

I agree, if someone really wants to steal the vehicle they'll get around all the security, i heard of a guy who's car was so secure, they used a hi-ab to nick it.

BUT, i also know a lot of vehicles that get stolen are nicked because of poor security, i used to work for a company called NACRO (national association for the care and resettlement of offenders) and having spoken to many car theives, most of them told me that unless it's a specific vehicle they're after (stolen to order) they'll nick whatevers easiest, if a vehicle has good locks, a good visible steering lock and an alarm. generally they'll look for an easier vehicle.

this is probably a lot worse for us lot as Landys don't exactly have good security, especially older ones.

as stated, if they're really determined, they'll nick it, but if you spend a bit of time and cash on decent security, chances are they'll look for something easier, it's a case of making it not worth their while.

i'm not definitely sold on the locks, but i thought i'd look into them, depends on cost vs. benefit! :)

It is worth talking to a friendly locksmith about those barrel cylinders. There are two types, IIRC, 7 pin and 11 pin. The 7 pin version is supposedly easy to pick with a made up cylinder and the 11 pin is a bit harder to pick. Anyway it is something like that and a locksmith will advise better.

You could try electrical dead locks on a key fob or some internal deterants.

I have this type of key fitted to dead locks on the doors of my 130. I dont ever use the LR locks as they are quite weak but with the dead lock on there is no way you can open the door, perfect for an expedition vehicle. I will try and take some photos today. The previous owner fitted them and got them from a locksmith.

I remember seeing some years ago, some replacement lock barrels that were kind of like the barrels on a bicycle 'd' lock, the keys were just like the 'd' lock keys (kind of tubular)

a friend was fitting them to a Ford XR4i, but he'd got them off the net and they were available for other cars.

does anyone have any idea about these replacement barrels? if they're available, and if they're any good?

i've looked on google but can't find much....

It sounds like you're referring to 'Hykee' Locks, I fitted them to my old Ford Granada Ghia Coupe.

When I bought my 110 in 1989, I was dismayed to find that the door key was the same as several 90/110's in our Regiment :(

So I ordered and fitted Hykee barrels for it -

th_IMG_2298.jpg . th_IMG_2299.jpg . th_IMG_2300.jpg . th_IMG_2301.jpg . th_IMG_2306-2.jpg

Hykee used to advertise in all the classic car magazines and supplied replacement security lock barrels for most classic and modern (at the time) cars.

The Proprietor was a Mr D S Crooke :lol: - I 'phoned him and explained what I wanted. He said that he hadn't supplied barrels for a 110 before, so he went and bought a barrel set from his local Land Rover dealer to use as patterns.

He was then able to supply me a set of 3 barrels (2 x front doors and rear door) with 2 x keys for £52.50 and a couple of spare keys at £2.75 each

Hykee were based in Broadstairs, Kent, but I haven't seen their adverts for several years and an internet search for 'Hykee' results in a range of van locks using the Hykee name.

OK so got around to taking some photos of the 130 door locks. I have uploaded them to picasa web albums which should mean no need to log in to view them....

130 security fixtures

Those are 'Safeways D120' locks -

Safeways-D120HS-Motor-Lock-Safeways-D120HS-Motor-Lock_2.gif

I also had those fitted to the side doors on my Ford Granada Ghia Coupe.

I'm not sure if Safeways are still going, their website doesn't seem to exist anymore :huh:

This place are still listing them - http://www.aklocks.co.uk/catalog/vehicle-locking/vehicle-locks

There's an article on fitting them to a motorhome, here - http://www.motorhomeandaway.com/deadlocks.htm

and a Unimog, here - http://www.xor.org.uk/unimog/mymog/deadlock.htm

Those look just like the star locks you can get at B&Q! i was after something that would replace the barrel in the door handle, like the Hykee ones, rather than add extra locks.

i fear though, that because of the modern design of cars with chipped keys/cards, no doorlocks and everything electronic, the market for the Hykee type of lock is a pretty small one.

it'd still be nice to replce the standard barrels with something though, i recently found the fuel cap key (which was bought aftermarket and is new) opens all the doorlocks with a bit of wiggling! so it isn't going to be hard to pick them with something similar...

Those look just like the star locks you can get at B&Q! i was after something that would replace the barrel in the door handle, like the Hykee ones, rather than add extra locks.

The reason to add extra locks rather than use the LR ones is the weakness of the LR door locks. The normal door locks will no doubt fail at the most annoying moment however a lock that is not directly attached to all the mechanism inside the door is easier to maintain and less likey to fail. Anyone who has had to try and release a locked door from the inside will tell you, unless you have a very small hand.

They are much stronger than something you could pick up at B&Q.

Those are 'Safeways D120' locks -

Safeways-D120HS-Motor-Lock-Safeways-D120HS-Motor-Lock_2.gif

I also had those fitted to the side doors on my Ford Granada Ghia Coupe.

I'm not sure if Safeways are still going, their website doesn't seem to exist anymore :huh:

This place are still listing them - http://www.aklocks.co.uk/catalog/vehicle-locking/vehicle-locks

There's an article on fitting them to a motorhome, here - http://www.motorhomeandaway.com/deadlocks.htm

and a Unimog, here - http://www.xor.org.uk/unimog/mymog/deadlock.htm

If you are going to use this type of secondary lock make sure that the lock barrel is set in a steel plate with a tight fitting hole that will prevent the lock body from being turned. The plate can be glued to the inside of the door panel.

We used to be able to jam a bar into his type of lock and turn the whole barrel reaming the hole at the same time and unbolting the lock.

• 5 months later...