How do the dual fuel tanks work on Lightweight

motom

Hi,

I'm trying to find out how the dual fuel tanks on a Lightweight work. Its a 79 Danish military model (diesel, 24V) with a fuel tank under each front seat. The reason I ask is because I filled both full and after driving it for a while one tank seemed to have more fuel than when I filled it up. Are you supposed to empty them in a particular order?

Cheers,

-Anders

IIRC on the RHD LW's I drove during my RAF service, the fuel tap on the drivers heelboard below the seat was moved so the engine could draw fuel from either tank, but not both at the same time, seem to remember the tap had 3 positions

Left tank/OFF/Right tank.

don't remember what each tanks capacity is/was, but it didn't make any difference to which tank was used first.

Exactly as above, IIRC they are 10 gallon tanks, though the Dutch variants had quite a few differences, who knows what they specified...

When switching the tap over from one tank to the other the fuel gauge then read only from the tank selected, there are a couple of switches built in to it :)

Mine isn't diesel as standard, and this has meant that the retun line from the engine only goes to the RH tank, therefore if you're running from the LH tank you will end up with more fuel in the RH tank than when you started.

It could be a similar thing with your tanks?

Chris123 - that is how mine is setup although I think mine has been a diesel all its life. I haven't had time to check out where the fuel lines go yet, but on my petrol 109 with dual tanks I have the setup described above, where it doesn't matter what the selector is set to because there is no return fuel line.

I'll have to check and find out what goes where :D

-anders

• 2 months later...

Always use the right hand tank first then over to the left and the returning fuel will go back to the right tank giving you a small reserve when tank two is empty!!!

On something of a tangent, have you considered dumping the left hand tank?

I only ask as sooner or later the tap is going to start drawing air into the fuel lines as the cork in the tap decides to give up the ghost!

This little problem caused weeks of headaches and me to not start up, draw air into the diesel lines and flatten my battery repeatedly.

The diesel injector pump is always a pig to bleed. Its a simple case of binning the tap and running a new piece of pipe from the tank to the lift pump.The sender wire skips the tap switches and goes directly to the gauge too. The return fuel line stays the same. Simple.

Ok so if you want to stay original, ignore me, but it solves a shed loads of problems......