Front Fog Lamp Mounting Methods

minivin

Ok, the original topic got polluted, so keeping this one fresh and clean as a possible resource, here we go :)

Just to possibly get a resource together on how people have fitted their spotlamps, this is how I have done mine.

I brought a pair of Wipac 100Watt 8" Dia. lamps at Sodbury as I have been thinking of fitting some of these since seeing an article on Motorsport Fire and Incident Support's (MFIS) 88 and 109 that they had in LRW Jan 2005, a nice pair of white and yellow Series that had been kitted out for support of motoring events such as Hill Climbs, Sprints et cetera.

Their 88 had a pair of Wipacs on that were mounted on a plate between the wings, being of the non-A-Bar and non-Bullbar persuasion I liked the idea of how to mount the spots without requireing such ironwork on the front.

DSCF1963.jpg

I got onto my friend (Phil Primmer; West Country Sidecars) who dug some 1"x1" right angle that was 2mm thickness and some 3/16" plate. I made a pair of end plates that were about 1 1/4" x 3" long with a M8 clearance hole each end 1" returned from each edge, and then cut the angle iron such that the overall length of the item would be 31 1/8" long, this being what my vehicle measures (bet others don't!).

Phil then MIG-ed the three bits together, and then with a penny washer that was about 2" OD 1/2" ID I cut it in half, and then set the two pieces so that they were located along their centre lines 8" in from the edges ie one located 8" in from port, the other located 8" in from starboard.

The two were then MIG-ed onto the right angle so that they were flat with the top of the right angle, this had to be done as the bases of the Wipacs are about 2" diameter with a M12ish mounting stud, alternative was 2" angle iron or 2" strip that would have needed to be rather thick and rather ugly.

The holes for the lamps were then filed out so that they were no longer half-moons but totally round by removing material from the right angle portions, and it now looks as such:

DSCF1959.jpg

I've mounted them high as they need to clear my 525 Superwinch that I will be fitting in the future, which therefore meant that it needed to be 8" above the bumper to clear the engagement lever.

This is a view showing the room behind and how they are level with the front of the wings:

DSCF1960.jpg

Anyone who's thinking of doing the same on a Series but without a winch, this is how they look when above the number plate, but level with the headlights:

DSCF1961.jpg

How have other people done it on their Defender's, Disco's et cetera and any good or bad parts?

On my 110, as it's fitted with a Husky winch bumper [genuine original type] for my 55w driving lights I used 2 of the redundant bolt holes where a 'A' bar used to be fitted [by a previous owner of the winch/bumper] also have 2 fog lights fitted below the headlights.

110front.jpg

Similar to yours minivin, but being a 90 all the ironwork had to go behind the grille

The ironwork

med_gallery_28_91_19694.jpg

In place

med_gallery_28_91_14055.jpg

The tabs slot through the grile

med_gallery_28_91_84639.jpg

and with the lights fitted.

med_gallery_28_91_304453.jpg

Problem is they were a little wobbly (need a secondary support to stop twisting), and I never got round to wiring them up! Oh, and most time was spent makingsure the spacing and height with the headlamps were exactly even.

This was fun, the predecessor to the 90. ran them both for several years then had to px it for something economical to commute in.

Anyway, 500+ watts (not the stereo either)

Fogs cut into bumper (2*55W)

Outer spots wired to come on with main beam (2*55W)

Inner spots wired via separate switch to come on if main beam on(2*100W)

all nice and legal

The plus points

When you flash someone they know it, the end to people driving on a sunny day with their rear fogs on :D

It's like daylight when they are all on

If you are out of the vehicle waiting/watching others they work as instant hand warmers

the minus side

You might be able to see the road signs a mile off but you cannot read them when you get close because the reflection is to bright

It all goes very dark when you have to dip them for oncoming traffic

med_gallery_28_92_289173.jpg

med_gallery_28_92_562797.jpg

Seriously, lamps mounted under the bumper are a crime against Land Rovers, and a winch bumper at that. You may as well take a baseball bat to them the second after you fitted them.

Found the piccies here and here.

Theres a lot of good stuff if you look at the site map, including paper landrovers.

His slotcar site has some landies too!

CV51NZA must belong to somebody with a pair of scissors, doesn't see much off road use anyway with where those lights are under the bumper as they would be gone at the first ditch!!!

Mine are mounted nice and high up on the 2 tabs left over from the original roller fairlead which was fixed using four bolts, the alli hawse one just uses 2 and the other two redundant ones have holes just the right size for lights to go on :)

P4140023.jpg

Ok you guys!very funny! but you know i can't catch you with this doggy knee so you dont have to run! ;)

but be careful if i am in the series the front bumper was made but Tonk.... AND IT TAKES NO PRISONERS!!!!! lol!

P1010010.jpg

and i dont have lights fitted on the bumper on the Raider... i have blue flashing ones on the roof!! LOL!!!

Hillbillys4x4Stickers004.jpg