does it fit ?

Hi

does anybody know what is the biggest size road tyre i could put on disco steel rims on a defender without lift kit or wheelarch modification?

(I know - its not the size that matters ......heard it all before LOL) :lol:

Hi

does anybody know what is the biggest size road tyre i could put on disco steel rims on a defender without lift kit or wheelarch modification?

(I know - its not the size that matters ......heard it all before LOL) :lol:

I have 235x85x16 on mine with no mods or issues

Biggest as in height, or biggest as in fattest ?

Height wise, 255/85's fit piece of cake (33.3" tall when new) and I suspect something like Silverstone's or Simex's in 34-35's would fit with minimal rubbing, they just totally screw you turning circle unless you reverse offset the disco rims.

I'd say it depends what you call 'fit'. I had some 7.50x16 SAGs which were HUUGE for the size(!) and rubbed the radius arms (first problem you'll hit) and munched the underside of the rear tub boxes. They just polished a patch clean so weren't a major problem, but I can't say they cleared all the bodywork. I believe the exhaust pipe can be a problem on some LRs too - TroddenMasses had to trim his because it was a little snug to his 235/85s. I'm on 285/75s now and no problems beyond a little rubbing.

I'd say it depends what you call 'fit'. I had some 7.50x16 SAGs which were HUUGE for the size(!) and rubbed the radius arms (first problem you'll hit) and munched the underside of the rear tub boxes. They just polished a patch clean so weren't a major problem, but I can't say they cleared all the bodywork. I believe the exhaust pipe can be a problem on some LRs too - TroddenMasses had to trim his because it was a little snug to his 235/85s. I'm on 285/75s now and no problems beyond a little rubbing.

I've 7.50x16 SAGS on mine. Yes they rub the radius arm a bit so the lock stops will need adjusting. Haven't been using it enough to hit the wheel boxes :D

Have just read that the radial SAGs are standard fitment on SA Defenders apparently.

The radial 7.50R16 SAGs are a wholly different beast though, different pattern and more road biased. The 7.50x16 crossplys were really aggressive, really noisy and had nearly no grip in the wet at all. Cracking tyre when they were aired down offroad though, and huuuge with it.

The crossply 7.50x16 SAGs are probably the best 7.50 pattern available, though they are fearsomely noisy and wear out rather quickly too!

I just wish they did a 33x12.50R15 with that pattern cos I'd have a set like a shot - but they don't :(