Rear window washer

How do you normally set up washers for the rear window?

I presume put a separate washer pump into the engine compartment coming off the washer reservoir and then route plastic piping through to the bit you put above the rear door. Slightly concerned it will be very vulnerable to freezing solid in winter, although I suppose could insulate it.

Is this correct way , or is there a better way?

Also is there a combined washer/wiper Carling type switch you can get - I envisaged click half way and wiper works, push down fully and washer kicks in, release and it jumps back to wiper just on???

Thanks

Malcy

Mine, which had the proper LR setup, consists of a pump in the bottle (double pump bottle) and then a tube which runs up the nearside windscreen pillar, along the roof edge and then onto the rear jet. A non-return valve just after the pump stops the fluid draining back into the bottle between washes. Never froze in mine, the washer fluid stops it doing so I believe.

I've seen setups where the pump is in the door in a bag thing too though.

Slightly concerned it will be very vulnerable to freezing solid in winter, although I suppose could insulate it.

Surely, If it's going to freeze in the pipe, it's bugger-all use as screenwash anyway?!

My factory 90 Hardtop has the pipe with the one-way valve and then up the A pillar and along the inside of the roof, as described above, and has been fine.

I suggest putting the NRV close to the washer nozzle. It prevents the line from self draining out the nozzle over time.

Freezing? Do you guys use plain water? That does not wash very well....

For a switch , you could get the genuine one. I just went to a wreckers and picked a suitable one of of some car, that runs both the wiper and wash.

You can get the proper pump wiring lead cheap here: http://www.autosparks.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=2010

I suggest putting the NRV close to the washer nozzle. It prevents the line from self draining out the nozzle over time.

Sorry to be all scientific, but it makes no significant practical difference where you put the NRV between the pump and jet* on a Land Rover. That said, the LR location (just above the passenger door) does seem a bit odd, as the LR NRV is HUGE.

* "Bottom" is better if your jet is more than 34 feet higher than the pump, as the NRV at the jet end in this case will just give you boiling washer fluid, due to the vacuum :)

Only if the water can go somewhere, which if the jet is the highest point (and it is)...it can't.

I put the non-return valve (get it from an aquarium place by the way, same size as the airline hosing, about 20p each) directly after the pump and I had no discernible delay in pressing the button and getting the spray come out the back.