Hindhead This Weekend

Retroanaconda

Thinking of heading over there this Sunday. Some of the lanes will be closing soon due to the new road, so good to use them while we can :)

Are you sure? If so, which ones? I don't see how the new road can affect them....

Sounds like another nail in the coffin for us... :angry:

Yep, pretty sure. It's shown on this map which ones will be downgraded to bridleways:

http://www.highways....nts_may2004.pdf

Still going to be a few lef, they're basically removing the one that spears off the A3 at Hindhead (as that road is being de-comissioned), and the one that runs from Gibbet Hill up to the A3 at Highcombe Farm.

The one coming up from Haslemere way through the common to Gibbet Hill, and the one from Gibbet Hill down to Boundless Road (the steep one) will be kept, as well as the two on the north side with a new link being added between them, forming a loop around past the youth hostel.

Cheers for that. No major loss really as that one I drove it in the Clio once to avoid the southbound queues :) - it's like a road now as you know. Glad to see the others are being kept open but do wish the Gibbet Hill steep one was not as severe so it could be driven by "tidy" motors without damage. What are chances Surrey CC could fill in the massive ruts??? :huh:

Would come out tomorrow but flying to West Africa to make sure the crude oil keeps flowing to fuel our motors :lol:

Cheers for that. No major loss really as that one I drove it in the Clio once to avoid the southbound queues :) - it's like a road now as you know. Glad to see the others are being kept open but do wish the Gibbet Hill steep one was not as severe so it could be driven by "tidy" motors without damage. What are chances Surrey CC could fill in the massive ruts??? :huh:

Would come out tomorrow but flying to West Africa to make sure the crude oil keeps flowing to fuel our motors :lol:

It is a bit steep the Gibbet Hill one yeah. Could definitely do with some filling where the big holes are. Will see how it is tomorrow I guess :unsure:

Still, I suppose it's the 'good' ones we've got left, should one want to put it that way.

Keep that oil flowing!

Thanks for putting this together. Enjoyed the trip out. The one that is going to be a cycle path is mostly concrete anyway so when the tunnel is up much the same experience can be got from driving the old A3.

Need to get my CB sorted. Having the same transmit range as shouting isn't that useful.

Thanks for putting this together. Enjoyed the trip out. The one that is going to be a cycle path is mostly concrete anyway so when the tunnel is up much the same experience can be got from driving the old A3.

Need to get my CB sorted. Having the same transmit range as shouting isn't that useful.

No worries. 'twas fun :)

The one that is going to be a cycle path is mostly concrete anyway so when the tunnel is up much the same experience can be got from driving the old A3.

I think the plan is to shut the old A3 from the south end completely (from about where that car park is, it's marked as being 'returned to heathland'), and at the north end it's only going to be open up to the youth hostel as a private access road. So no vehicular right of way.

Same, mine was displaying some strange recieve characteristics and no transmit ones!