Forest Drive-borders

white90

On September 11th 2005, the Scottish Off Road Club (SORC), will be running an open forest drive event in the Scottish borders.

SORC has been working alongside landowners and forestry companies to put together what will be a truly unique day. The event is open to everyone with a 4x4, but the numbers will be strictly limited to 80, therefore pre-entry is essential.

SORC have carefully laid out three types of route through the forest, green for the family 4x4 which never normally sees anything more challenging than the school run, red for the driver with some off road experience, who doesn’t mind maybe picking up a scratch or two and has a vehicle equipped with chunky tyres, the black runs are reserved for experienced drivers who have vehicles equipped with off road tyres and winch, a roll cage is recommended but not essential, however a sense of humour is vital! SORC promises something for everyone, set against the backdrop of some of Scotlands finest forest scenery, which is never normally accessible by vehicle. Drivers on the green and red runs are more than welcome to spectate as the vehicles on the black routes get themselves in and out of terrain most people would think twice about walking over, far less driving! The event is non competitive, and is designed to be fun and involving.

As at any event, safety is paramount. The event has been planned and organised with the full cooperation of the landowners, forestry companies and the Motor Sports Association. The routes are set out as a one way system to keep traffic moving smoothly through the forest. SORC has many trained and experienced motor sport marshals, recovery crews and first aiders in it’s membership, and SORC members will be stationed at strategic points along the routes. The event organisers and marshals will be in constant radio contact with each other throughout the day.

SORC have arranged catering for the start area, however entrants will need to pack whatever they need to sustain themselves through the drive. There will be plenty of opportunities for picnicking in the woods. Watch out for bears!

For anyone who has never experienced the thrill of being in a 4x4 off road, SORC will be running a short section where the public can be driven round by an experienced off road driver. All they ask is for a small donation. All profits from the event will be going to charity.

Further Information & Registration Contact:

Hugh Roberts:

email: lindsay@theworkhouse.net

Press Contact:

Pete Naples: (SORC Newsletter Editor)

Email: tracksion@dsl.pipex.com

It should be a good event. We've been working with the local Forest Enterprise folks for a while on this event. It would be good to finally meet up with a few of you guys.

The event will be based near Peebles so not too far over the border and some absolutely stunning scenery can be found nearby.

Make sure if you are consdering entering, to contact Hugh and bok a place as spaces are limited to 80 vehicles by the MSA permit and the FE. It will be no good just turning up on the day expecting to get a place. The event is being publicised to local clubs, delerships, FE contacts and the off-road press so we expect spaces to be filling up soon.

i've filled out my form, written out the envelope

i'll nick the wife's cheque book

i'll post the form off tonight

i'll be there . . .

black RR classic, debadged and de-decaled, with a bling bling light bar + lightforce spot lights on the front . . . .and gay white spokes B)

Nothing too serious Don. Just a quick look :ph34r: to check the motor is suitable for the grade of sections that you've entered for.

We don't want novices with showroom standard Range Rovers trying to do Black Runs. :rolleyes:

Yeah red route for me.

i see a poss stumbling block is no recovery point on the front at the moment. I'll look at getting a something over the next few weeks.

also, i have the towbar on the rear which is lilely to plough which is no big deal - removal may be considered as i'll need to remove it anyway because a) i fried the loom today on the exhaust B) it needs to come out to drop the tank

red route sounds best. i personally prefer to go round a course which for the most part you can get round without needing pulled out every 10 yards. to me, driving off road is most fun when your driving, and not lugging a winch cable about. All that being said, i do see the point of winches even for basic off roading as a safety measure.

Fair 'nuff.

I take it there will be sufficient amusement for those of us with less extreme vehicles on the red routes?

I'm with fisha too - I'd much rather be driving than stuck. Just fancied having a go at one or too tricky bits if they didn't look too daft :rolleyes:

Well, that's my application in the post. Well sort of - the cheque's in the post, had to email the application after my printer refused to print black because it was out of colour ink. :angry:

I'll be there with my Dad, in a green K reg Range Rover (the one in my avatar).

Well I am booked as well, if Nic's 90 is finished by then, or else we are in the 110. Looks like I had better fit the lifting eyes on the front bumper then! - Better fit the front bumper first - and the wings, and the tub, and the bonnet, and the windscreen, and the seats, and the cage, and the roof - the list goes on!!

Well I am booked as well, if Nic's 90 is finished by then, or else we are in the 110. Looks like I had better fit the lifting eyes on the front bumper then! - Better fit the front bumper first - and the wings, and the tub, and the bonnet, and the windscreen, and the seats, and the cage, and the roof - the list goes on!!

Better get busy then and stop browsing.

Or are you at work like me :D