Cooling woes

Hi Folks,

I need some advice on my 300TDI engine, after about 100-150 miles of motorway driving 70mph, I lose all but most of the coolant in the header tank.

Before this I replaced the waterpump and P gasket, then the radiator, pump was squeeling and the radiator was shot, thermostat was also replaced.

Car comes upto temp fine goes to about 90 degresst then falls back to 87 sat at 70, but I lose coolant, if I just bimble around the city no coolant loss.

Also noticed that if I stick to about 55-60mph no percievable loss.....

Cant seem to find any decernable coolant loss/stains on any of the pipe work or around the water pump.

Where do I look next? head gasket????

Cheers,

Neil

Viscous fan.....

I've just had exactly the same problem and it turned out the viscous unit was knackered.

Remove the fan. It the spindle turns with very little resistance, it's knackered. If it's stiff, then it's OK and you'll need to look elsewhere...

HTH

Adrian

Viscous fan.....

I've just had exactly the same problem and it turned out the viscous unit was knackered.

Remove the fan. It the spindle turns with very little resistance, it's knackered. If it's stiff, then it's OK and you'll need to look elsewhere...

HTH

Adrian

Viscous fan is fine, but that wouldn't alone explain the loss of coolant, but thanks for your input anyway

Cheers,

Neil

Mine is the same, new water pump, stat, radiator, no sign of leak but water level drops in the header tank. There is no smell of fumes in the header tank so assuming not head gasket. Will check viscous fan but with no sign of dripping where does it go?

Thinking of getting system pressure checked to see if that can find it.

This may be totally irrelivant?, but as well as my 90 i also have a company car(57 plate Astra) i had a Mantitu (big long loader, building site thingy) push my bumper in (with no mark????) totally crushed my radiator and intercooler, without any evidence of damage drove to Liverpool and back after no probs, went to the shop less than half a mile away from home and the poor car just looked like it had a colonic ambush? 4 or 5 litres of water on the floor?

I know Landys are better than this but it may be damage that you havent seen yet from a front end prod?

Leaking pressure cap on the header tank?

Loose hose/clip or leaking plastic plug in the thermostat housing or radiator?

Replaced the 2 plastic plugs with Brass, top of stat now houses the temp sender for the madman multi gauge,

but haven't replaced the pressure cap...........yet. will try that next Dave

Cheers

Neil

Undetectable coolant loss can sometimes be cured by adding K-Seal to the cooling system. It won't cure all leaks, but the majority of them.

http://www.k-seal.co.uk/k-seal.html

Les.

Well thats worth a shot, I don't normally do "cure all" potions, but for the sake of a tenner + P&P,

Anyone used this stuff before and did it work? I cannot find the damned leak anywhere :angry2:

Les thanks for the heads up on K-seal

Cheers,

Neil

• 4 weeks later...

I've used it a few times and never really had a complaint about it. If you suspect head gasket problems, you could try ceramic motor seal. I would go with K-Seal and see if that works first.

Les.

Added the K-Seal and it seems to of cured the water loss so far, Thanks Les!

my 300 tdi overheats very quickly at 70 mph since the rad was replaced, its had a new water pump and stat and was really hard to bleed up, ive even block tested it for the head gasket but tests ok, ive ended up taking the stat back out so i can use it, :(