Gear box, transfer box upgrade - choices

Ralph could you put up a pic/diagram as to where it is on the Lt77 box please? as I'm sure I'm not the only one who's curious as to where it is on there.

TIA

John

fits on the left side of the extension casing, the smaller item 23 is either fitted with the temp switch or has a solid top [as mine does] the larger part is the gearbox oil cooler adaptor & the hoses fit in the forward end threaded holes. [the left end fits the main gearbox casing]

hth :D

post-20-125866102652_thumb.jpg

fits on the left side of the extension casing, the smaller item 23 is either fitted with the temp switch or has a solid top [as mine does] the larger part is the gearbox oil cooler adaptor & the hoses fit in the forward end threaded holes. [the left end fits the main gearbox casing]

hth :D

This is either fitted or it isnt though? Is that right? By that i mean that i understood that you cannot fit it to any LT77, it has to have the casing that is designed to take the cooler. Like my LT77s defender spec cant be retorofitted with an oil cooler can it?

This is either fitted or it isnt though? Is that right? By that i mean that i understood that you cannot fit it to any LT77, it has to have the casing that is designed to take the cooler. Like my LT77s defender spec cant be retorofitted with an oil cooler can it?

my old LT77 had the smaller adaptor fitted & my current R380 has the same item fitted.

if the gearbox doesn't heave the larger adaptor, AFAIK any LT77/77S/R380 can have a oil cooler fitted.

parts book shows 3 extension casings

FTC1518 [refer to Note 1 on the parts diagram in my reply above]

FTC2102 [refer to Note 2 --------------------------------------]

FTC2190 [refer to Note 3 --------------------------------------]

all of these house the gearbox oil pump & the parts diagrams don't show any blanking plugs for the adaptor fixing bolt holes, just shows the 2 adaptors as per he parts diagram above.

I've taken 2 extracts form parts catalogue here:

The first shows LT77 up to suffix G boxes, the drawings shows the mountain brackets for the "thermostat" housing, but doesn't include the actual fitting "thermostat" and temp sensor.

post-20087-125869380476_thumb.jpg

The next page shows LT77/LT77S from suffix G boxes onwards, then the "thermostat" housing appears with the temp sensor too.

post-20087-12586938282_thumb.jpg

As western says there aren't any blanking plugs etc. so I presume on the early boxes the foundations holes where cast into the box housing, but just never drilled/tapped out. looking carefully the mounting foundation for the temp sensor doesn't exist in the old boxed too.

Attached R380 for completeness too.

post-20087-125869387915_thumb.jpg

Just to add to the post above, the small filter you see in the drawings, do people actually remove these and change/clean them? I didn't actually know one was present until studying the above diagrams just now.

Moving slightly back to why I started the topic, is it worth the money for me to fork out for a R380 or should I stick with the LT77 just a much later version. (presently got a D suffix - the oldest one)

On paper the R380 should be a much stronger box as it was scratch built to do the job, where as the LT77 evolved from originally a Jaguar "car" gear box design (is my understanding, not sure if this is totally correct)

I have been running a 1.2 transfer box, with a latest spec R380 gearbox, however I have crown pinion ratio of 4.1.

This give me a slight gear increase, by about 2%. Just went to northern sweden ad back from London, yes it sits at 80 fine, feels better at 70 / 75, I can sit it at 90 / 95 but I really don't like doing it and think it's not a good idea really. Also my engine is a 2.8 tgv so there is more power.

Anyhow, the choice is yours.

OK, so i guess the question is - Did KKK2 manage to fit an oil cooler to his LT77??

Yes I did and I'm happy with the modification, however the gearbox fitted now was supplied with the cooler supplied by Ashcrofts, I understand the rear casting is different to allow the cooler part to be fitted to the gearbox, I think late LT77's fitted to Discoverys in Usa but 100% sure of that.

I have piped the cooler to a small radiator under the right hand wing and the gearbox runs fine and cool as I do a lot of towing, I am interested with the temp switch as I could use this to fix my oil temp gauge to.

k