Rear view mirror.

kingdong2

Hi guys

i have just recently changed my landy from van to truck cab and when i get paid i will be getting it mot'd and woundered do i need a rear view mirror in a truck cab when i had it as a van i removed the mirror as you don't have to have one in a van but not sure about a truck cab.

graham

1962 2a swb 200 tdi.

1997 disco 1 300 tdi.

IIRC a vehicle used in UK should have ----

1, a interior mirror plus a door or wing mirror on the drivers side

or

2. interior mirror & 2 door or wing mirrors [1 on each side] The best option IMHO :D

or

3. no interior mirror [if no rear windows at the rear panels of the vehicle,this doesn't mean side windows] But must have 2 door or wing mirrors.

any other combination would be a MOT fail & at the very least would severly restrict rearward vision

more info here MOT Test manual Mirrors

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Im retired and live in Cyprus. So all summer I run my S1 hybrid with no top or doors and windscreen down. Rear view mirror is not much use under these circumstances except to shine the sun forward into the faces of oncoming drivers. As the S1 round wing mirrors are totally useless, Nelly is fitted with Defender mirrors attached to the windscreen hinges using a little bracket to spread the load.

IIRC a vehicle used in UK should have ----

1, a interior mirror plus a door or wing mirror on the drivers side

or

2. interior mirror & 2 door or wing mirrors [1 on each side] The best option IMHO :D

or

3. no interior mirror [if no rear windows at the rear panels of the vehicle,this doesn't mean side windows] But must have 2 door or wing mirrors.

any other combination would be a MOT fail & at the very least would severly restrict rearward vision

more info here MOT Test manual Mirrors

Strange comment, you state one thing then add a link that says different.

From your link:

Obligatory mirrors

Obligatory mirrors are

a. an exterior mirror fitted to the offside (right-hand side when seated in the

drivers seat), or

b, an exterior mirror fitted to the

nearside left hand side when seated In the drivers seat), or

c. an interior mirror.

So as I said I have only ever had 1 mirror fitted.

Marc

But I did say If I Remember Correctly [iIRC] my 110 has 2 door & 1 interior mirror,

I believe that to be the best safest option for todays traffic conditions

& the MOT link qualifies the mirror/s fited with

Passenger vehicles with no more than 7 passenger seats first used before 1 August 1978 must have any one of the above options.

Passenger vehicles with more than 7 passenger seats of any age, and all passenger vehicles first used on or after I August 1978 (not being a minibus as above), must have two mirrors, one of which must be option 'a'.

All goods vehicles

must have two mirrors, one of which must be option 'a'.

Minibuses first used on or after 1 August 1983

must have an exterior mirror fitted on both the offside and the nearside ('a' and 'b').

Minibus

A vehicle constructed or adapted to carry more than 8 but not more than 16 seated passengers.

Additional mirrors

Any mirrors additional to the obligatory mirrors are not subject to this inspection.