92 Defender 90 Windscreen Wiper Woes

My 92 Defender 90 200Tdi is an ongoing restoration project. I've completed most of the major tasks, such as chassis welding, and am now down to the last few "bits and pieces" such as lights etc, before getting her MOT'd and on the road.

The problem I have is that the windscreen wipers are incredibly slow. I have done some work on the motor, renewed the park switch, bushed the drive pin on the drive wheel as there was a lot of play in it. I switched the wipers on yesterday and they just about crawled their way across the windscreen. I'm fairly sure the electricals are OK but I will check voltages to the motor etc. The wipers used to be better than they are currently but the truck has been sitting on my drive for about 2 years whilst I carry out the repair work :ph34r:

Any thoughts on possible causes? Seized wheel boxes/drive cable? What sort of a job is it to remove and replace/lubricate the cable and wheel boxes?

All suggestions gratefully received.

Mark.

If it has not been operated (the ww motor) for 2 years it is likely that the copper commutator has lost some conductivity from oxidising. and the grease in the wiper box should be renewed if you havent already done it. Does the motor run ok without it connected to the rack?

If so a new rack will be in order. I notice my wipers are slow to move until the grease and the motor has warmed up in the cold mornings. Also worth a check is the earth connection on the motor back to the bulkhead?

Pete

If it has not been operated (the ww motor) for 2 years it is likely that the copper commutator has lost some conductivity from oxidising. and the grease in the wiper box should be renewed if you havent already done it. Does the motor run ok without it connected to the rack?

If so a new rack will be in order. I notice my wipers are slow to move until the grease and the motor has warmed up in the cold mornings. Also worth a check is the earth connection on the motor back to the bulkhead?

Pete

Thanks for that Pete.

It is not strictly true that they haven't been operated for 2 years. However, they have been used rarely during that period, probably 2 or 3 times at most.

I'll get the motor off and check it.

How easy is it to replace the rack and wheel boxes, any idea?

Thanks for your help.

Mark

replacing the crive cable & wheelboxes is fairly easy.

drive cable comes out with the wiper motor, remove blades & arms, pull motor/cable from vehicle, remove the cover plate on the motors gearbox, disconnect cable & fit new cable, refit cover plate & grease the cable well & refit into the tubes.

wheelboxes need the dashtop & blades/arms removed, undo the nut on outside of shaft, undo the small nuts that hold the backplates on & drive tubes, remove tubes, extract wheelbox from panel, obviously fit the new parts in reverse order

Thanks Western,

Knew you'd come up trumps.

Bish, it was peeing it down with rain when I tried them, I've noticed before that a dry screen slows them down considerably.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Mark.

Happy to help, have you cured the problem then ?

Hi Western,

Haven't cured it yet, it's a job for this weekend. I'll take the drive cable and motor off first, whilst they're off I'll check the wheel boxes for stiffness and repair/replace as necessary.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

Bit of an update.

i stripped it all down at the weekend, the nearside wheelbox is very stiff to turn. Cable seems OK, nicely greased and the grease hasn't hardened. Same for the gearbox on the wiper motor.

Unfortunately I couldn't get the small grub screw out of the splined boss that the wiper arm attaches to. So it's had a liberal soaking in WD40 and I'll have another go at it tonight.

Looks like a replacement wheelbox should do the trick.

I'll keep you updated on the outcome.

Mark.

I ended up not being able to take the grub screw out and cut the spindle with an axle grinder. Fitted new wheelbox and fittings. Put cable and motor back on and it worked a treat.

Neil

Hi Neil,

You've confirmed my worst fears, I was thinking it may not come off. I'll try it tonight then, if that fails, will try heating it up gently with a blow torch before giving up and cutting it off.

As I said, I'll update the post later.

Mark.