Heater Matrix

mr_mcp

Has anyone changed their heater matrix with good results? The heater in my Defender is puffing out lukewarm air and I want a fix before it starts getting really cold!!

Cheers,

Mr_mcp

Ralph has a post on here for adjusting the heater controls to make sure they are working properly. Have a search - possibly in the tech archive. Worth doing before changing things. Maybe backflush the matrix before changing it as well.

Thanks for the quick responses, I tried the search but didn’t find any useful posts (probably more poor search criteria).

Yeah the one on eBay looks nice and shiny – didn’t know you could get uprated ones. Although to be honest I just want a relatively cheap fix <£40 and that looks like it'll go for a bit more with the rrp being '£200'. Has anyone bought one from paddocks, they seem fairly reasonable?

Cheers,

Mr_mcp

Has anyone changed their heater matrix with good results? The heater in my Defender is puffing out lukewarm air and I want a fix before it starts getting really cold!!

Cheers,

Mr_mcp

0) Is this your first Winter / Landy experience? If so, don't expect lavish walls of red hot air, particularly on older series machines and 90 / 110 / early Defender (LR may have sorted it, but has been a joke for plenty long enough).

1) Have you followed Western's guide to heater control adjustment in the tech. archive?

1a) If not, have a read and then move on.

2) Have you checked to see if the thermostat is the right one (there is an optional cooler one for many engines, for use in very hot (hah) countries), and in fact actually fitted (they get removed to "fix" overheating problems) as no 'stat pretty much equals no heater in most Landys. Later engines don't generate masses of surplus heat anyway!

3) Otherwise, if the vehicle is quite old and likely to be on its orignal matrix, then get a new one, as it's probably furred up inside.

0) Is this your first Winter / Landy experience? If so, don't expect lavish walls of red hot air, particularly on older series machines and 90 / 110 / early Defender (LR may have sorted it, but has been a joke for plenty long enough).

1) Have you followed Western's guide to heater control adjustment in the tech. archive?

1a) If not, have a read and then move on.

2) Have you checked to see if the thermostat is the right one (there is an optional cooler one for many engines, for use in very hot (hah) countries), and in fact actually fitted (they get removed to "fix" overheating problems) as no 'stat pretty much equals no heater in most Landys. Later engines don't generate masses of surplus heat anyway!

3) Otherwise, if the vehicle is quite old and likely to be on its orignal matrix, then get a new one, as it's probably furred up inside.

Yeah first winter in the landy! I was expecting it to be cold, but after an hours drive on the motorway I was expecting the heater to be warmer than my breath! I'll take a look at that article, thanks!

Yeah first winter in the landy! I was expecting it to be cold, but after an hours drive on the motorway I was expecting the heater to be warmer than my breath! I'll take a look at that article, thanks!

It should get above blood temperature (albeit just) ... I'd try the cheap things first!

That brought on a nostalgia moment - -10 © outside, me sat in 109 with series Smith's heater going, only -5 © inside ... ah, happy days!

The heater should put out lots of hot air when adjusted properly and in good nick.

As mentioned, the first and most important things to check.

1) Thermostat is not leaking when closed. The engine temperature should come up quickly to the normal temperature and you should see a dip when the thermostat opens.

2) Move the hot/cold flap to hot and make sure it is pressing tight against the stops. If not, pop the cable clip off and adjust.

As someone said above, check thermostat, check the heater flap settings , make sure some hot water is going through the heater matrix etc.

Are the radiator hoses hot?

My 87 heater was getting hot but it was so furred / blocked up it wasn't effective. Changed it and blistering difference.

Neil

(it does also help having a V8 with a lorra excess heat available!)