Roof mounted bike rack

hobson

I put this in the international forum as i thought it was more of a general post rather than Defender specific, so if it needs moving thats fine.

We have a 110, standard suspension with roof rack, and roof box, and want to fit a cycle rack for two bikes on the vehicle somewhere.

i was initially going to get a rear mounted one, to attach to the towbar/crossmember, but realised that this would obscure the lights, which woud mean buying an extra light bar, which i don't want to buy as when we hook up a caravan, the lights on that will act as rear lights

so i wondered if i could get some of the roof mounted ones, where you remove the front wheel and clamp the forks into a false axle and strap the rear wheel down, so that the bikes are upright.

Does anyone know if this is sensible and legal? as the overall height will be around 3-3.5 meters (at a guess)

thanks

I think you'll find getting the bikes onto the roof a little tiresome.

And it'll make your 110 a LOT higher.

But I'm struggling with your aversion to getting an extra set of lights. Why? They're only £20 and when you're using the caravan, you'll not need them anyway.

And you can get a towball-mounted bikerack that'll still leave the towball usable for the caravan. Pendle do one.

You don't have your location in your profile, so I can't comment on legality, but I can't see any problems with it. Trucks are over that height generally, and if you have a caravan attached, you are going to be close to that height.

I can't see the problem with the tow bar mounted type though - if you have the caravan on, that then plugs into the electrics. If you don't have the caravan on, then use a trailer board. you only need one or the other. The advantage of the roof mount over the ball mount is access through the back door whilst the bikes are loaded.

I have used the thule type roof rack carriers on saloon cars with no problems - you don't remove the wheels for these ones though - If you are interested, they could be for sale...

Cheers

Mark

Roof mounted cycle carriers work ok with an expedition type roof rack with a ladder up the back and room to walk around. Loading/unloading is okay until you are on your own! Oh, and with five bikes or more on the roof there is a bit of roll on corners.

I get five bikes across the width, but the additional aerodynamic drag is noticeable. The bikes clamp upright and fasten down to the channel. I always add tie-downs from the seat post & handlebars to the roof rack to ensure they don't move. The bike racks came from Decathlon and weren't that expensive (sub £20 at the end of season).

post-249-125875912545_thumb.jpg

post-249-125875920532_thumb.jpg

so i wondered if i could get some of the roof mounted ones, where you remove the front wheel and clamp the forks into a false axle and strap the rear wheel down, so that the bikes are upright.

Does anyone know if this is sensible and legal? as the overall height will be around 3-3.5 meters (at a guess)

thanks

Perfect solution. If you have checker plated the wings and bonnet it becomes much easier to get up there.

Perfectly fine to use to use them, you just need to be aware of the height your 110 will have become. I have a simbars bike rack that attatches onto the rear wheel mount and is excellent. With the front wheel off the bike doesn't really interfear with the rear lights.

I don't think there is a legal restriction on height in the UK on the basis that there are enough physical restrictions in place but a notice of the height is required over a certain limit but I can't remember what at the moment.

If you do get a roof mount then just make sure that you measure the height and fix a notice of it in feet and metres that is visible to the driver.

If it were me I would be tempted to adapt a roof rack to take the bikes lying on their sides with the handle bars just over hanging the edge of the roof. Easier to get up there, one on each side, and much lower overall height.

• 2 weeks later...

I carry 3 bikes on the roof of my 110 quite regularly. I don't have a rack, I just tie the handlebars to the rollcage with rope and then run and rope from the rollcage around each frame and back to the cage to secure them at the back. Takes 2 minutes to load up each time. Doddle. I am toying with the idea of using some quickfists to shortcut things a bit, which may be an option if you have a roofrack already... :)

Will :)