3.9 V8 Cutting out !

v8pop.

Hi guys,

does anybody know a problem with a 1994 3.9 V8 Discoverys?

It cuts out whilst driving, you can be anywhere from a junction to going down the motorway, sometimes an orange light with an exclamation mark (!) comes on and sometimes it dont.

It can do anything from stopping dead to loss of power.

I have the dash out but have since been told it does not have a spider as it is a one button key fob.

Has anyone got any ideas?

- Cheers

ignition amplifier on dizzy, rotor arm in cap. pants leads/cap. weak coil.

the exclamation means you need to stop soonest. if it runs, but keeps cutting out, is it when it is warm or cold?

could be a head gasket.

is the oil/oil pressure/water level ok. are you overheating it, maybe water pump in which case maybe a head gasket too.

is your alternator charging correctly? if not, then that could be causing it.

idle control valve.

there are loads of things it can be. i had a 3.5 rrc, went well till one day was trout. my cam was worn out so rip one rrc.

but yours runs, so probably one of the above (not cam) and or a bad earth.

been a while since i had a v8 rover, will be more grown ups to help more soon...

richard

Sorry

But need a load more info than whats been given :(

When was it last serviced, by whom, what was changed

Has it got genuine leads cap rotor arm coil etc if so good - how old,

if not what are they and how old

What happens AFTER it plays up, does it go away or stay, when exactly does it do it, what are the symptoms

how does it behave, is it a misfire or just down on power, anything been done to the engine in last

6 months, if so what, what the history of the car, when did it 1st start doing this, was anything touched just before this happened ?

Without chapter and verse and some simple fundemental basics its basically guessing

Post up verbatum :) there are a number here who know their V8s :D

Nige

Faulty RST will normally just make the engine 'stall' as you come to a halt at lights etc

It rarely causes a total loss of engine or misfire as its a secondary input

Nige

as the chap has stated he is not getting a missfire!

the reason for this i had one fail and spike the ecu only when driving and it opened the stepper and caused it to stall and over rev but as the guy has not said when it is happening either on accerleration or over run we will have to wait for more info

Hi guys,

does anybody know a problem with a 1994 3.9 V8 Discoverys?

It cuts out whilst driving, you can be anywhere from a junction to going down the motorway, sometimes an orange light with an exclamation mark (!) comes on and sometimes it dont.

It can do anything from stopping dead to loss of power.

I have the dash out but have since been told it does not have a spider as it is a one button key fob.

Has anyone got any ideas?

- Cheers

the landie was laid up for a few months due to the wife breaking her hip and not being able to drive [she uses it most days] when we got it out of the garage i noticed batteries needed replacing on fob; this done car was fine then we noticed we had to get closer to car to beable to disarm it this got to the point where you had to touch bonnet with fob for it to work.then the problem started with the cutting out.you get no warning of when it is going to happen you can be crusing at steady speed and it will decided to stop dead or lose power and then just as quick pick up. this can happen daily or every few days .gaskets changrd last year so can,t be that plugs are fine checked all the possible causes now stumped and can,t use landie as stopping dead causes a few nightmares once again any hlep welcome thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

the landie was laid up for a few months due to the wife breaking her hip and not being able to drive [she uses it most days] when we got it out of the garage i noticed batteries needed replacing on fob; this done car was fine then we noticed we had to get closer to car to beable to disarm it this got to the point where you had to touch bonnet with fob for it to work.then the problem started with the cutting out.you get no warning of when it is going to happen you can be crusing at steady speed and it will decided to stop dead or lose power and then just as quick pick up. this can happen daily or every few days .gaskets changrd last year so can,t be that plugs are fine checked all the possible causes now stumped and can,t use landie as stopping dead causes a few nightmares once again any hlep welcome thanks

Are you saying that you have changed the alarm spider ? ..........personally I wouldnt trust a S/H unit............ these are a known problem for 'cutting out' and the best plan is to bypass it.

There is a load of stuff in the technical archive.............

Here is the link to the alaram spider problems http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=86

Would a duff RST cause the engine to idle too fast intermitently. The latest thing is the engine will start but sometimes after the first few seconds of high revs which is normal it wont settle back down to the proper idle speed but will stay upward of 1500, even when driving. (making engaging drive or driving on snowy, icy roads interesting!!)

If not any ideas?

cheers

• 11 years later...

Hi I have same problem with my disco 1 3.9 v8i manual  it will stall after a few minutes from starting doesn't matter if it is hot or cold and won't restart just turn over with out firing disconnect the battery for a few mins and will start five times out of ten will run allday then with no issues or will play up cutting out frustrating and dangerous if on the motorway and cuts out any ideas gents no engine check light and no codes in the ecu 

10 hours ago, Wynne davies said:

Hi I have same problem with my disco 1 3.9 v8i manual  it will stall after a few minutes from starting doesn't matter if it is hot or cold and won't restart just turn over with out firing disconnect the battery for a few mins and will start five times out of ten will run allday then with no issues or will play up cutting out frustrating and dangerous if on the motorway and cuts out any ideas gents no engine check light and no codes in the ecu 

Not all 3.9s have one but that’s  a symptom of an iffy ‘spider’ immobilise. I put up with it for six months, even wouldn’t start when disembarking from a cross channel ferry, the a few minutes it started and was ok for the rest the day, until later another day the engine cut out in the third lane at 70ish. 
Time to fix, one of the spiders functions is to cut the 12v supply to the coil, so I installed a single wire from the ignition switched supply where it enters the fuse board, then following the existing loom across the engine, protected of course, to the coil top. So its just an ‘overlay’ to the existing wire so no need to go anywhere near the spider.

Also a blocked crankcase breather can stall the engine.

Edited by teabag
Additional info added

• 4 weeks later...