Hello

Hello everybody,

I'm new here and as I am considering buying a Landrover I hoped you might be able to give me a little information. I am thinking about a 90 or Defender diesel powered probably an older model. I would like to know what sort of fuel consumption I could expect from the various engines, as I read in one of the magazines that the figures for a 2.5 turbo diesel could be as low as 18mpg. True? I only ask because I was looking at a vehicle last weekend which was was a J reg and the turbo was clearly visible on the right hand side of the engine when viewed from the front. What variant would this have been?

I would be truly grateful for any help at all.

Thanks.

Hello everybody,

I'm new here and as I am considering buying a Landrover I hoped you might be able to give me a little information. I am thinking about a 90 or Defender diesel powered probably an older model. I would like to know what sort of fuel consumption I could expect from the various engines, as I read in one of the magazines that the figures for a 2.5 turbo diesel could be as low as 18mpg. True? I only ask because I was looking at a vehicle last weekend which was was a J reg and the turbo was clearly visible on the right hand side of the engine when viewed from the front. What variant would this have been?

I would be truly grateful for any help at all.

Thanks.

Hi Davey,

A J reg with a turbo clearly visible would be a 200Tdi. This engine is capable of mpg in the mid twenties if driven considerately. If you cane it then yes, you could see 18mpg or possibly less.

I can't really help much with other engines, I can only tell you what I've heard/read. V8's are notoriously thirsty, 15mpg would be considered good and as low as 8mpg when used hard/off-roaded. The old naturally aspirated engines, both diesel and petrol were innefficient and didn't return good fuel consumption figures.

Hopefully an adult will be along soon who is better placed to help.

Regards,

Mark.

18mpg for the 2.5 turbo diesel (predecessor of the 200Tdi engine which was introduced very early 90's) is average, 22-ish on the open road :o , single figures in traffic :(

The 2.5TD can easily be spotted because it has a turbo top right but no intercooler (as standard).

Many thanks for the replies. So would a 200Tdi be a better bet? Just going off what I have seen from various pictures on the net and in magazines are these engines recogniseable by the black plastic cowlings and gubbins on top of the motor. My mate has an old rotten mot failure of a Disco lying around and it appears to be a more modern engine.

Thanks again

Dave

My 200Tdi does 25-28 MPG on a long run, 60-65mph on the motorway.

A J reg should be a 200Tdi as said above, good reliable engine capable of hundreds of thousands miles if looked after. This is what one looks like:

post-10578-125984506244_thumb.jpg

Only thing that might be different on a standard vehicle would be the presence of a large fan cowling in the big gap in front of the block there. Mine's been removed for a leccy fan.

Many thanks for the replies. So would a 200Tdi be a better bet? Just going off what I have seen from various pictures on the net and in magazines are these engines recogniseable by the black plastic cowlings and gubbins on top of the motor. My mate has an old rotten mot failure of a Disco lying around and it appears to be a more modern engine.

Thanks again

Dave

I think the one with a rubber/plastic cover over the rocker cover is the 300Tdi, although they may have put it on the 200Tdi in the Disco in an attempt to reduce engine noise.

Mark

If driven with due care and attention on the motorway at the posted speed limit, my 4.6 V8 110 delivers around 16MPG.

If I saunter along in a very relaxed fashion at 50 - 60 MPH I get 20 MPG on a run.

Popping around nearer home with more gear changes and opportunity to play with the volume pedal I generally get 12 MPG.

Idling etc. off-road will drop it more !

But... I generally drive with a smile on my face !

Neil

We used to have a 2.5 TD Ninety in the family and whilst it returned sub 20MPG when towing I'm sure it did more like 25 on general running around, unless hooning around.

I have always thought that this engine was better than its reputation suggests. Granted it didn't have a terribly long life span, but I was always impressed by the amount of grunt it could deliver when required.

On the downside it was very noisy at anything above 50MPH, even with CSW carpeting throughout. Also the clutch was hellishly heavy, that would be my biggest negative memory of that truck.

I doubt you'll find any TD engined examples around now, many were replaced by the 200tdi when they wore out.

The 200 and 300 Tdi as said above go on for many many miles if looked after well. They're a bit quieter, more powerful and more economic, I much prefer them to the Td5.

hi

my 90 with 2.5td engine would do 27mpg just about every where, it was noisy and never let me down but did require a lot of heat to get it going from cold. it's now being replaced with a 200tdi so my advice would be to try and source a good 200 tdi

matt

Great stuff. Thanks very much everyone.

retroanaconda, that is the same engine as the one I saw. It is sold now, however I have come across a tidy looking G reg with low miles that might be worth a look. It is described as being a 2.5 turbo diesel so I imagine it would be pre tdi. I could always tap my mate and buy his mot failed Disco. Engine swap feasible?

Hi Davey,

I hope this helps more than it adds to any confusion regarding your MPG question.

I’ve owned my 1996 Defender 300 TDI for 53 months and have logged all fuel consumed – I started this because, like you, I was unsure what MPG to expect. I’ve kept the monitoring up out of interest, as it’s easy to do and also because I thought it would be a useful indicator of any ‘MPG faults’ that might arise overtime.

The Defender is a second vehicle, used mostly in winter and at other times to transport the dogs to the park. My journeys can be summarised as a mix of short 10-15 mile park trips and longer Winter trips twice a week of about 90 miles between Sep and January – these trips include about 10 miles of ‘off road’ activity.

My average over 20485 miles is 30.89 MPG. A lot less than my car but then that doesn’t bring a smile every time I drive it! Buy one!

I would just add one complication regarding achievable MPG which hasn’t been mentioned by anyone so far and that is you will have noticed the large range of tyres and sizes available for Defenders – mine are 225/75 x 16 M T’s. I’ll leave it to those more knowledgeable than me on this Forum to comment on what effect tyre size has on actual recorded miles travelled.

Defenders aren't anywhere near as bad as they're made out to be, but as with any car, the fuel consumption varies greatly depending on how heavy your right foot is!

we get about 25-28mpg from our 300Tdi 110, but both my wife and i drive at a sensible speed and it's mostly around town and around the farm, on a long run if the speed is sensible, then it's probably a bit more, obviousley if you put the foot down everywhere and the turbo is constantly spinning expect a fair bit less.

but as said, tyres, carrying lots, added toys and bling, and roof racks all make a difference.

ultimately though, even if i got 10mpg i'd still get a defender, they're great! :D