Thermostat stuck open?

I'm trying to diagnose what I believe is a thermostat that is stuck open.

My newly acquired 300TDi Defender runs very cool. It has a recent radiator replacement and a new water pump. The thermostat was replaced at the same time, and I fear the thermostat is bad and stuck open.

After 30-40 minutes of driving, it will just reach the "C" on the temperature gauge. My newly installed MadMan EMS (incredible product) tells me that the maximum coolant temperature is 55 degrees while driving around town and on the motorway. Needless to say, the heat is about useless.

I've tested the viscous fan, and it appears to be free. I can stop it while at idle with a rolled up newspaper.

Do 300tdi's simply run very cool, or does this sound like a bad thermostat?

Vin

this is my first post on this site but if im right it should run a little hotter than that but not much

and again if im right thermostats have different temp ratings and it will have it stamped on the side somewhere.

if you think its the thermostat......

to test it, take the thermostat out of the housing dangle it in a pan of water on the stove along with a thermometer and see if it opens at the temperature stated then when upto temperature if it opens take it out and see if it closes again as it cools down..... if it has been replaced there is a chance it will have been replaced with one of a different temp rating

was it running at the correct temp by the old gauge when you got it? did you have to set any perameters in your madman ems? if so, is it correct? what does the original temp senser say, or are you using it to feed the ems?

you may not find a thermostat when you check. if all the other options are correct.

before you remove it, at 55 degrees that is cold, that will cool your oil too much also.

try reconnecting the old sender to the old gauge and see if that reads too cold; if it is easily reconnected.

richard

gents,

The water pump,thermostat and hoses were done before I bought the truck. I can't say what temp it ran at before they were done.

I'm using both the original temperature gauge (and sender) as well as the newly added Madman gauge. I verified that the madman gauge is recording the right temperature using a cup of boiling water. 46-50 degrees is as warm as I can get the truck is daily driving. I managed to see 65 degrees on a long steep hill climb, but this was after an hour on the M5

Looks like I'll pop in a new t-stat and see if there is any improvement.

Msny thanks,

Vin

My 200Tdi runs with the needle at half way, vertical. Always has, and as far as I know that's the normal case :)

Over-cooling won't do a massive amount of harm (certainly better than over-heating), but it doesn't help engine wear and fuel consumption. A nice hot heater is always handy too.