Starter Motor - Paddocks

I've been having trouble with my starter motor on my 200tdi and it has finally given up completely. I saw paddocks were offering a new one (ERR5009N) at £80 + VAT, I phoned them up and the chap confirmed that it was a brand new bosch unit so I went ahead and placed the order. It turned up today and the one they have sent is a britpart unit! I called them today and they said I had been misinformed, they can do a bosch one instead if I want at £150. So do I fit the britpart unit or send it back? I don't really want to spend £150 on a starter motor, what would you recommend? I guess they will probably charge me postage to send the thing back too. I know paddocks are cheap but every time I order they always seem to get something wrong.

Definitely send it back. I was in the same boat. Bought a Britpart one from Paddocks. First one was damaged so sent it back . Second looked OK wand worked but lasted less than 3 months. Took apart and all the brushes had disintegrated. In despair I took apart my old Bosch and found it had simply seized. A bit of work in the vice and some fresh grease and she was good as new. been back on now for the last 2 years without a problem!

i wouldnt bother with the Britpart one either, and i dout the Bosh one they have offered is the real deal either as it will be more than £150 if its a genuine one.

a few years ago i bought what was advertised as a Bosh unit from a local shop for about £150 as i didnt want a Britpart etc, turned out to be a copy of a Bosh so i backed it, guy said its a direct replacement for the Bosh unit and made to the same standard but its looked the same as all the other cheapys to me. in the end i found a used original and very clean Bosh starter on ebay for £40 and its be fine ever since...

pop round to your motor factors and get a price on part number gxe4731, or any of these numbers

Bosch 0986016210

Bosch 0001218168

Bosch 0001218152

Delco Remy DRS3084

Lucas LRS728

Marelli 063227460

Paris Rhone D9R91

Rover NAD10039

Rover ERR5009

Valeo VS104

Valeo 436052

Thanks for your replies. I've never been keen on britpart stuff and it sounds like I'm not alone there. I suspect my current starter is repairable anyway. It has been submurged in muddy water many times which I'm sure hasn't helped. I think I'll take it off and see what state it is in. It may just need some new brushes and a clean up.