Galvansied chassis registration

hi

Im currently replacing the chassis on my 90 with a brand new one from Marslands, i have been trying to contact the DVLA about getting the VIN number transferred to the new chassis however my local office have advised me that i can not re use the original number and they have to inspect the vehicle and allocate a new one, does this sound right? how have others done it when replacing their chassis?

I thought there was a thread about this but after much searching including google i can't find it so if anyone could locate it that would be much appreciated

Many thanks

Matt

hi

Im currently replacing the chassis on my 90 with a brand new one from Marslands, i have been trying to contact the DVLA about getting the VIN number transferred to the new chassis however my local office have advised me that i can not re use the original number and they have to inspect the vehicle and allocate a new one, does this sound right? how have others done it when replacing their chassis?

I thought there was a thread about this but after much searching including google i can't find it so if anyone could locate it that would be much appreciated

Many thanks

Matt

From DVLA.....

Vehicles that have been rebuilt using a mix of new or used parts

In order to retain the original registration mark:

* cars and car-derived vans must use:

The original unmodified chassis or unaltered bodyshell (i.e. body and chassis as one unit - monocoque); or a new chassis or monocoque bodyshell of the same specification as the original supported by evidence from the dealer or manufacturer (e.g. receipt).

And two other major components from the original vehicle - ie suspension (front & back); steering assembly; axles (both); transmission or engine.

DVLA

Whoever told you that it had to be inspected was wrong... Unless, as it says above, you have had to replace more than just the chassis

From Here : http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/RegisteringAVehicle/DG_10014246

In order to retain the original registration mark:

cars and car-derived vans must use:

The original unmodified chassis or unaltered bodyshell (i.e. body and chassis as one unit - monocoque); or a new chassis or monocoque bodyshell of the same specification as the original supported by evidence from the dealer or manufacturer (e.g. receipt).

And two other major components from the original vehicle - ie suspension (front & back); steering assembly; axles (both); transmission or engine.

If a second-hand chassis or monocoque bodyshell is used a car must pass an Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) and light goods vans must have a enhanced single vehicle approval (ESVA) or single vehicle approval (SVA) test after which a "Q" prefix registration number will be allocated.

Make sure you have the old chassis as they may wish to inspect that a well,

and ensure numbers match the V5 :rofl:

Nige

hi

Many thanks

Matt

Stupid boy Pike!

ask marshands to put the numbers on. keep it to yourself as you've now opened a BIG can of worms

hi

thanks for the replies, the truck complies with the regulations above but i think they relate to the reg no rather than VIN. From what i understand i was advised they would have to issue me with a new vin because the chassis had been replaced i will try and get hold of them again tomorrow.

I'm not sure how ive opened any cans of worms by replacing a like for like part. How would getting marslands to stamp the chassis no on be any different to me stamping it on, i never mentioned it whilst i was talking to marslands and they were good about answering any questions if it was such a major problem i would have thought it would have been mentioned.

I ll let you know how i get on

cheers

matt

Having just done exactly this...

I followed the instructions to the letter and it was a very simple quick and easy process

You need to send your logbook, photocopy of receipt for the new chassis, and a covering letter explaining you have carried out a direct swap with a new chassis

In my case (and I believe they are doing this for more people now) I was invited to bring the vehicle to the local office for inspection, I turned up and a very nice man (who knew landys inside out) spent 5 mins checking the numbers matched (Richards put my old number on the new chassis) quick chat and 2 forms later I was done, total 10mins and I got an identical logbook sent to me in the post. NB this is NOT a VIC check like I thought at the time!

All done with minimum fuss and all nice and legal

There seems to have developed an attitude of 'SVA Police' and 'Anti-SVA-police' on the forum lately... My 2p worth, You're obliged by law to inform the dvla, whether you do or not is up to you, I'm certainly not going to interfere!

Mike

hi

Thanks mike thats exactly what i was hoping for, was it your local office you had to send it to or DVLA swansea?

I never though about getting the number stamped when i ordered the chassis, so there should be no problem with me stamping the number and then getting it inspected once its finished.

thanks to everyone thats helped

Matt

Hi

All of the above is dealt with by the local office, be warned though the time between sending the letter and getting the appointment back was about 6-8 weeks, once thats done the rest is dead quick! in fact, with hindsight its probably a better idea to take all your docs to the local office in person it might make it faster

Mike