Rear diff

Holyzeus

I have a '84 four door therefore i presume the diffs are 10 spline? I can get a ARB (24 spline) cheap so i need a 24 spline diff what model LR's have these fitted and what production years? Also what else apart from half shafts would i have to change?

Cheers

I am sure a grown up will be along shortly who knows more, but I am pretty sure you will have to change the stub axle and numerous other things.

The consensus when this has been asked before is that it is easier to get an axle from a later Disco and use that.

Your 10 spline will be snapped up by someone wanting discs on the back of a 90.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

AFAIK bishbosh is correct, unless you can find some halfshafts from a rare 24 spline HD ninety rear. In the discos the switch to 24 spline was accompanied by a change to narrower stub axles, so you would have to change stub axles and hubs too.

• 1 month later...
Many thanks

Discos 1994 and above were 24 splines....i think rangies 92 and up were 24 splines.

There should be easy to find but you will break them in no time they are only 20% stronger than the 10 spline.

I have a full Maxidrive set up for sales (Maxidrive HD axles rear and front with complete third members set up in ARB RD 56 and Maxidrive R&P 4.75). Set up is located in Lebanon.

Set up is on a disco with 36" tyres.

Shipping sould not be that bad provided custom charges are not high in the UK.

Thanks

Jay

Can we just clarify a few things here. Firstly a 24spline (RD56) will fit a METRIC 10 spline diff, which is pretty much any diff post series so I don't see why a new diff is needed. You can fit it to the older imperial 10 spline diff too but need a pair of bearing sleeves.

As to the rest of it are we talking front or rear?

Jay, that's a nice setup you're offering. Is this just the internal or complete built up axles you are talking about. But why,, moving to bigger tyres/portals?