200tdi head gasket maybe?

jmattley

i think that my head gasket is on the way out, so any tips on changing it? How big and hard a job is it to do? How long does it take roughly? Any special tools I'll need? Shouldn't have to re time should I? I may also check the cam belt at the same time, any recommendations for that?

Cheers!

this is a fairly easy job. as it is ohv not ohc, the timing is not altered and makes for a straight forward job.

no special tools needed, and dont forget the exhaust studs at the bottom dont need to be removed, they only need to be loosened and then pulled up and out.

my advice would be dont get anything britpart, NOTHING BRITPART.

bolts can be reused provided they are not too long. they are about £2 each, when you take off the head, make sure you get the same number of holes thick gasket. don't get a metal gasket, the fibre crush type ones are fine as they are.

get your head skimmed too, not worth doing all this without this. about £30. and mark up the pushrods so you wont need to set your tappet clearances again. if you get a timkins gasket, these are of good quality.

my onlyother advice would be once again, no britpart items. if you get a gasket from these, you will be doing it again inside of 500-1000 miles.

it is funny, i used their stuff for other cars in the past, only some things did not fit right. it would seem on landy's, they have tolerences so big, they just prematurely fail more often than not.

have a good crimbo, and i hope it goes well for you.

richard

Hi, I used a Payen head gasket set on my 200tdi, not the cheapest, but seem good quality. Do have the head skimmed, and if you cant see why the old gasket failed, get it pressure tested as well!. You will need a protractor as the head studs are tightened by pounds foot first, then by deegrees, as far as I am awhere, you will need to reset the tappets.

Cheers guys! I already have a Haynes, but just wanted to get an advice not given in the book. Thanks a lot!!

Is it also a big job to take the timing case off to check the cam belt as I'm not sure how old that is.

if your going to take the cover off to look at the belt i'd do it as its off as you'll need new gasgets as well

I would second the idea of doing the cam belt while you are in there, as you might as well do all of it at the same time so you don't have to do it later. I would do the idler and the tensioner too as there is not advantage in not doing these. You might not need a timing chest gasket, but if you get a full timing belt kit it will probably come with one. You will need to remove the viscous fan and I would also recommend getting a viscous fan spanner. They are not expensive and it's worth getting one so that you don't have to chisel the nut to get it off.

As the for the head it is certainly worth getting it skimmed and pressure tested just in case. You should not have to do the timing if you only do the head, but the rocker valve clearances will need doing again. This is a very quick job though. And again, don't get Britpart for any of the bits. Any other make should be OK, but the failure rate for Britpart seems so high that unless you want to do it all again very soon, it's not worth taking the chance. I got an Elring gasket when I did mine and so far (1500 miles) everything seems pretty good. I did fit a Britpart metal gasket initially and this failed immediately so I won't fit any Britpart stuff ever again.

yes, you will need to set up tappet clearences again. i did not mean to mislead you, i just meant that you will only need a slight adjustment with the same rod as opposed to a total adjustment of all tappet clearences if the rods were muddled. but getting the timing belt and tensioner done whilst you do this will make sense as you can do these whilst the head is off and getting skimmed. by the time you get it back, the head can go on, bang. job done.

mate, have a good xmas and look forward to hearing how it went in the new year.

richard