Removing tyre valve stems

Turbocharger

I tried to remove the valve stem from my spare wheel today because it's leaking around the base (tubeless). I know how they go in, nice and easy for the Kwikfit crew with their threaded pull-tool that screws on to the valve cap threads, but I've only ever seen them cut the old one off. I don't have a replacement stem, so I thought I'd try to 'help' it back through with the aid of a couple of screwdrivers.

post-277-126133577609_thumb.jpg

Since all four screwdrivers punctured the rubber, I'll be buying a new stem anyway. Can someone ease my mind and tell me it's not possible to remove it without damaging it?

I agree, very difficult to do and you need some old blunt screwdrivers with no sharp edges.

Incidently, I notice from your pic that you have a 'tube type' wheel without an innertube. You shouldn't run these wheels 'tubeless' even if you are using tubeless tyres. If you have a blowout related accident, there may be some very awkward questions!

Regards,

Diff

Ta - it's only the spare, so I'm hppy with it as a 'get home' option.

As an aside, I got a new stem today but couldn't pull it through to seat it. I decided to let the air pressure push it home as it seated the tyre bead, but I was struggling to make it seal enough to build any pressure. Then I fiddled with the air line to get a better purchase and fired the stem into the tyre carcass at Mach 1.

I've given it to the professionals to fix now.

For removal I use a pair of mole grips clamped onto the stem and sort of pull and twist. they normally pop out fairly easily. I'm not sure I'd want to reuse it afterwards but they do normally come out in one piece so if you were really stuck...

For fitting I do something similar but more gently as it doesn't normally take much to pop them in :)

As with all tyre related operations and some others I am told, lubrication is your friend.