ceramic heater

rocky

Hi,is it possible to get a ceramic fuel tank heater to fit a defender 90. I can remember a few years ago some hgv's had them fitted but don't know if it still is possible to get them and fit one to a 90.

Temperatures have been really low this week, down to -18c and a few diesel vehicles nearby have had their fuel waxed. Mine has had a gallon of parrafin stuck in the tank and has been ok, but it would be nice just to flick a switch and have warm fuel.

Hope everyone is enjoying the festive season, all the best, regards, rocky

one of my friends had a disco 200tdi engine in his defender and was running it on cooking oil

he ran a bit of cooper pipe around the engine under the manifold to heat it up before it went

into the fuel pump!! hope thats sum help!!

dave :D

I have seen a kit for running on veg oil that used a block of aluminium machined in to a heat exchange to take a couple of diesel heater plugs with the veg oil flowing through. It was on a thermostat, as when the engine has been running for a while the fuel returning to the tank eventually warms it up, especially if you're running a TD5.

Hi,is it possible to get a ceramic fuel tank heater to fit a defender 90. I can remember a few years ago some hgv's had them fitted but don't know if it still is possible to get them and fit one to a 90.

Temperatures have been really low this week, down to -18c and a few diesel vehicles nearby have had their fuel waxed. Mine has had a gallon of parrafin stuck in the tank and has been ok, but it would be nice just to flick a switch and have warm fuel.

Hope everyone is enjoying the festive season, all the best, regards, rocky

A heated filter is the normal way to go. Not an electrical one but one that is heated by the coolant.

http://www.biotuning.co.uk/PartsFilters.htm . The one shown at the top is probably the best. I think they were also fitted on some kind of renault, maybe a clio but cant fully remember. The reason this works is that the filter is the biggest problem with waxing and it soon blocks up. There is normally enough fuel returned to tank if the fuel is warm to keep that clear.

Thanks for the replies, but the heater needs to be immersed in the fuel tank, the diesel in the pipe-line freezes underneath the vehicle and the faster you go the more the wind chills it.

I have had my disco freeze twice, although the engine hasn't died completely I've managed to get home on tickover with a brief stop before and on hills to get some diesel into the pump. Regards, rocky

What is normally done is the engine is heated running on regular diesel from a second tank. The SVO or BD and lines are heated with coolant. Once the engine is warm, the fuel suppl can be switched over. It is generally a much better idea regardless as warming up on SVO causes coke buildup in the engine.

12 V electrical heat will never be adequate, as any normal 12 V system can not provide enough power.

Not much use for the first startup though surely?

For startup you need a webasto heater :)

Most problems with waxing don't occur on startup though and it only takes a couple of minutes of the engine running to be warming the fuel enough to be preventing waxing.

For startup you need a webasto heater :)

Most problems with waxing don't occur on startup though and it only takes a couple of minutes of the engine running to be warming the fuel enough to be preventing waxing.

fuel fired heater with a coolant loop that is bunged into the fuel tank is best, the tank should also be wrapped with insulation to hold in heat then the engine will keep things hot once running, just be sure to fit a thermostat to shut down the loop at a reasonable limit.