RRC rear lights disco dancing!

DC_

just discovered that the rear lights on the classic is doing a bit of disco dancing. I've got a tail light out on the offside but the mrs noticed yday when I indicated left if done it but only on the left side and also when the brake lights came on!

So the question is....... How do I sort it? Is it a relay?

Cheers

Are we talking the earth straps under the bonnet? I've got 3. One on the bonnet, one to the nearside wing and one on the starter. Clean up ?

Or the earth actually on the lens etc?

Cheers

Are we talking the earth straps under the bonnet? I've got 3. One on the bonnet, one to the nearside wing and one on the starter. Clean up ?

Or the earth actually on the lens etc?

Cheers

I'd start nearest the lights and work forwards.

Aye but are we talking earths like on a plug in the house or the straps to the engine block.............

I'm guessing by the above query that you are not overly familiar with vehicle electrics... (However, you may be, in which case, apologies).

On a car, there is only positive and negative. In most cases, wires carry the positive via switches and relays to the component which needs power and then the component is electrically connected to the body, which in turn is connected to the negative terminal on the battery to carry the negative current back.

Thus, if you look at the back lights you will find a multitude of coloured wires to the various bulbs which carry positive and then one common track between all of the bulbs that is connected via a wire to the body. This is the negative (commonly called the earth).

As has been suggested above, your problem sounds like this negative route has corrosion or damage on it...

Many thanks for the reply....... And I really appreciate the full talk through........ Really do.

Didn't have time to check the connections so will try do it over the weekend :)

Cheers

Went out today to give it a go...... Earth connection was loose altogether !! Took the whole unit off and cleaned it all up nicely. Job done and no more disco lights :)

Took the other side off to do the same job. The bulb holder for the stop/tail light was not in the best of condition.

Managed to clean it up after managing to get the broken bulb out from the holder. New bulb in.......... All put back in but now it seems the stop/tail bulb is getting mixed up. When I put the lights on the stop light comes on??? When I press the brakes the tail light illuminates?? It only does this on the offside where the dodgy holder is.

Apart from that, every thing else is back to normal:)

fingers are numb now.......... -5 outside:(

You have the bulb in the wrong way round -it can be forced in sometimes if the bulb holder is in bad shape.

Remove the bulb, turn 180 and re-insert, hopefully should sort it.

Now that is what I was going to do and wasn't very sure if it would make any difference, but by the time I'd finished the rest of the job I couldn't feel my feet!!

Will give it a swap over and see if that'll sort it

cheers