tdi to v8 box ...??

2drdan

Hello all.

Has anyone tried to mate an ex-disco 200tdi to the 4spd Range Rover box?

I've thrown the towel in on my RR 3.5 v8 with Lpg, I want some space back and easier fuelling.....plus she coughed last week and leaked abit more than usual....!!? No seriously she leaks... :lol:

Thanks in advance,

Phil.

Not seen it done, but my 110 has a 200tdi mated to a 3 speed auto. Done with an adaptor plate. I might be breaking a RRc with a 4 speed box and a 2.8td engine with all the bits you need.

Righto, cheers, have probably sourced the tdi (keeps it all LR easier parts etc) , I reckon someone must have thought of this or be able to produce an adapter.........as we're all innovative folk us LR nuts........

Ta for the reply! :)

Righto, cheers, have probably sourced the tdi (keeps it all LR easier parts etc) , I reckon someone must have thought of this or be able to produce an adapter.........as we're all innovative folk us LR nuts........

Ta for the reply! :)

why not change to a 5 speed lt77 tdi box?

Paul

Or even a R380 from a later RR or Discovery.

As long as it fits, with a 200tdi and will be reliable (it is a LR after all....he he...) and I can find one within a reasonable time scale,............getting withdrawal symptoms...................etc etc then i'll be happy!!

All advice gratefully received....

anyone involved in Offroading in Berks..? I've moved there recently.....

If you still want to keep the RR 4 speed(lt95) zeus do a bellhousing to mount the two together

link here

Although it isn't on there website!

Top one!! Thanks i'll give'em a shout for price etc. Would make life easier in the long run i reckon plus i know where i stand with this 'box + OD ....shame they're not up now too, .......must sleep sometime....nah bugger it .........more time to play..!

-_--_- ZZZZZZZzzzzzz z z :blink:

Top one!! Thanks i'll give'em a shout for price etc. Would make life easier in the long run i reckon plus i know where i stand with this 'box + OD ....shame they're not up now too, .......must sleep sometime....nah bugger it .........more time to play..!

-_--_- ZZZZZZZzzzzzz z z :blink:

The lt95 is the stongst box landrover used, so provided you've got a good one it should be reliable.

And being as you've got an overdrive you've got the best of both worlds, ultra low first gear and an "overdrive" top gear.

Right then Rat Fans.........

Thanks for all the input! After several phone calls here are the results;

Zeus have the tooling to make the bellhousing but no units left and unless there was going to be a club order or at least say 5 people it wouldn't be worth doing a production run...or else a prohibitively high retail cost!!

A very nice bloke and helpful too...leading me to speak to......

Precision Engineering (apologies if the name isn't spot on - previously Milner Conversions) another top bloke who can make an adapter plate in about a week or so to do the very job!! Reasonable price too.

and regarding "....best of both worlds..." 200 tdi with Lt95, i'm happy to go with this and yes it sounds ideal, so why aren't more people needing bellhousings or adapter plates or are they keeping it a secret...?? <_<

:)

and regarding "....best of both worlds..." 200 tdi with Lt95, i'm happy to go with this and yes it sounds ideal, so why aren't more people needing bellhousings or adapter plates or are they keeping it a secret...?? <_<

:)

Although the LT95 is strong it's pretty agricultural and noisy compared to a R380. Also R380's are common and cheap now, probably less than the conversion kit.

For heavy off roading the LT95 is great, for any significant road use the R380 would be far nicer.

Although the LT95 is strong it's pretty agricultural and noisy compared to a R380. Also R380's are common and cheap now, probably less than the conversion kit.

For heavy off roading the LT95 is great, for any significant road use the R380 would be far nicer.

Point taken....it's always a decision between keeping a unit beit gearbox, engine, complete vehicle or what ever that you mostly know and find reliable against an upgrade which is invariably 2nd hand and with what history??

Also raises a few more questions..............

Could I keep the same transferbox?

Would I need to change the gearbox mounts?

would the ratios change?

Anyone got one going......how much....?

I'm sure there are more but they escape me right now........still appreciate the input!

Ta. :D

Point taken....it's always a decision between keeping a unit beit gearbox, engine, complete vehicle or what ever that you mostly know and find reliable against an upgrade which is invariably 2nd hand and with what history??

Also raises a few more questions..............

Could I keep the same transferbox?

Would I need to change the gearbox mounts?

would the ratios change?

Anyone got one going......how much....?

I'm sure there are more but they escape me right now........still appreciate the input!

Ta. :D

You carn't use the t/fer box off the lt95, as it and the main gear box don't "split".

You will need to change the gearbox mounts, but this is only a nut and bolt job.

The ratios will be completely different, have a look through the technical archive their are a few good ratio calculators in there.

You carn't use the t/fer box off the lt95, as it and the main gear box don't "split".

You will need to change the gearbox mounts, but this is only a nut and bolt job.

The ratios will be completely different, have a look through the technical archive their are a few good ratio calculators in there.

Righto, I think I'll be keeping the LT95 as I like the ratio set up, with 235/85/16s and an overdrive, top gear is reasonably tall (which the V8 didn't like uphill) so I'm thinking this will be more suited to the Tdi !

Will of course overhaul all components at the time of doing the swap so hope to eliminate some of the backlash that is currently in the system. Have already started by replacing the propshaft UJ's will carryon with diffs, gearbox.

RR had done 79,000 miles when I got her and didn't appear to have ever had a tow hitch fitted so I reckon everything should be in good nick just need tolerances adjusting........well I can hope!! :unsure::)

Hi there, there are a few of us in Berkshire/Oxfordshire/Hampshire (including me) so there are plenty of people who can help.

Stay away from Zeus like the plague; they're even worse than a certain company in London. They knowingly sell sub-standard, poorly manufactured and designed components and don't care. I've dealt with them before and NEVER again.

An adaper plate shouldn't be too difficult to come up with. Motor & Diesel may be worth talking to as I'm sure they do a kit; they've done kits to mount 2.8 TGVs to pretty muc all the LR gearboxes.

Hi there, there are a few of us in Berkshire/Oxfordshire/Hampshire (including me) so there are plenty of people who can help.

Stay away from Zeus like the plague; they're even worse than a certain company in London. They knowingly sell sub-standard, poorly manufactured and designed components and don't care. I've dealt with them before and NEVER again.

An adaper plate shouldn't be too difficult to come up with. Motor & Diesel may be worth talking to as I'm sure they do a kit; they've done kits to mount 2.8 TGVs to pretty muc all the LR gearboxes.

Hi, thanks for the info and words of advice, any chance you've got a number for Motor & Diesel ..??

Cheers

Funnily enough, while looking around for some 101 stuff, found this maybe perfect for you, He's selling loads of new stuff, maybe he still has the new bell housing, http://www.101club.org/smallads/ :unsure: I'm new to this posting thing so I'm not sure if that link will work, Good luck.

Yup, nice one, the link works fine!! Will see how I get on, cheers for bothering!

Ta.