A whole bunch of Land Rovers to the rescue

Godlykepower

Popped over to Luton to get a new front prop, and the roads around Kimpton are in a VERY bad way. 2-3 foot high snow drifts in places, where it has blown over from a farmers field, and one whole lane blocked off.

On my way home, a John Lewis lorry had got himself stuck & the driver of a Defender who was passing started digging him out. 1 point to us.

This chap was in a rush to get off, and the digging was proving pointless, so I carried on with the winch. Another point to us.

As it was a 7.5 ton lorry, I could'nt get him all the way out, and left him to dig away the last couple of feet of snow.

By now another Defender had turned up, and we decided to barge through the lane that was closed off because of the drifts.

A hundred metres in front of the lorry, and a woman has beached her Mazda 6 in the middle of the road.

All Land Rover drivers.......front & centre please, start digging! Thats another point to our side.

A P38 came from behind the Mazda & started pulling, whilst the Defender drivers at the front shared pushing & digging duties.

By now, the road was fairly clogged up with traffic waiting to get by, so my mechanic came down the road to see why there was a queue.....in the big boy, his rather beautiful 101.

So thats 2 x Defenders, 1 x P38 and a 101 all mucking in with road clearing & recovery. Thats at least 5 points?

As we were all having quite a lot of fun as it happened, we needed some icing for our little cake. A cherry on top, so to speak.

Enter a H2 Hummer.

The driver just sat inside smirking at us and laughing as we were all running and slipping about.

Anyway, he could not be bothered waiting for US to clear the road, so he tried reversing out back past the lorry, and got himself stuck!

We had just cleared the front blockage & all of us drove off to leave the stricken Hummer to sort himself out! :D

I have to say, we were very well represented & there were many admiring looks, and rounds of thanks as the Land Rovers did what they do best.

Aw, makes you feel warm all over doesnt it?

Martin

Yeah, we were all saying that we needed a camera on this occasion, buy typically none of us had one.

I think a picture of a Defender towing a Hummer would have been as classic as that famous one of the Defender towing an RAC van.

Video footage would have been a You Tube sensation....at least for us lot!

You could feel the guy in the H2's shame from a 1000 paces though!:lol:

Martin, well done, you did a great service. I would have loved to have been there with you all helping out and seen the look on the Hummer drivers face. It has been very frustrating having my 90 stuck in the shed part way through its rebuild with all this lovely weather!

It would be very interesting to see the impact of this weather on Land Rover sale figures this winter and the coming months compared to previous years hhhmmm.....

I think that tale is evidence supporting my theory of why people buy particular cars. Land Rover types don't mind getting their hands dirty (hat off Mr P38, for being an exception to what I'm about to say) but buyers of large shiny pose-mobiles are often just that - posers. I recently stopped to check whether a stranded D1 driver (probably failed gearbox) was OK, he said he and and his wife had counted over 100 tow-capable cars passing by before I stopped. Shame I was in the Czech toy ...

Martin, well done, you did a great service

Thanks very much!

But to be fair to everyone else, I did not have to ask the others for their help. All the LR owners just got on with helping everyone.

I was overwhelmed with this sensation of "right the chips are down for these motorists, lets just get on with it." There was no begging or asking for help, as Land Rover drivers, we just stepped up to the mark, as I have noted we do on many occasions.

Popped over to Luton to get a new front prop, and the roads around Kimpton are in a VERY bad way. 2-3 foot high snow drifts in places, where it has blown over from a farmers field, and one whole lane blocked off.

On my way home, a John Lewis lorry had got himself stuck & the driver of a Defender who was passing started digging him out. 1 point to us.

This chap was in a rush to get off, and the digging was proving pointless, so I carried on with the winch. Another point to us.

As it was a 7.5 ton lorry, I could'nt get him all the way out, and left him to dig away the last couple of feet of snow.

By now another Defender had turned up, and we decided to barge through the lane that was closed off because of the drifts.

A hundred metres in front of the lorry, and a woman has beached her Mazda 6 in the middle of the road.

All Land Rover drivers.......front & centre please, start digging! Thats another point to our side.

A P38 came from behind the Mazda & started pulling, whilst the Defender drivers at the front shared pushing & digging duties.

By now, the road was fairly clogged up with traffic waiting to get by, so my mechanic came down the road to see why there was a queue.....in the big boy, his rather beautiful 101.

So thats 2 x Defenders, 1 x P38 and a 101 all mucking in with road clearing & recovery. Thats at least 5 points?

As we were all having quite a lot of fun as it happened, we needed some icing for our little cake. A cherry on top, so to speak.

Enter a H2 Hummer.

The driver just sat inside smirking at us and laughing as we were all running and slipping about.

Anyway, he could not be bothered waiting for US to clear the road, so he tried reversing out back past the lorry, and got himself stuck!

We had just cleared the front blockage & all of us drove off to leave the stricken Hummer to sort himself out! :D

I have to say, we were very well represented & there were many admiring looks, and rounds of thanks as the Land Rovers did what they do best.

Aw, makes you feel warm all over doesnt it?

Martin

Whats with the us & them bit over a badge you sad **** its just down to the thwack in the truck not what make it is!!

Whats with the us & them bit over a badge you sad **** its just down to the thwack in the truck not what make it is!!

Thats true, but its the thwack in the truck that generally buy's the bit the badge is stuck on.

Got stuck on a car park the other day for 10 minutes, not because of snow or ice but a plonker in a BMW who thought the car park belonged to her and everyone else are her servants.