what are those plug in cool boxes like when it gets realy hot?

freeagent

if you wanna get groovey then the marine catalogues have all the parts to build your own fridge - to fit in any shape hole you can find, we have a cheapo 3 way fridge from a wrecked caravan (12v, gas or 240v) cost about £30 and finished in an attractive mahogany effect plastic.......... mmmmmmmmm

IMHO, not worth a cracker.

I agree, old 3 way fridges are of limited use in a landy. They have to be carefully fitted permanently and boxed in to the bodywork with vents to allow cool outside air flow from the bottom at the back to the top, they need an outside exhaust/flue when on gas. They will work ok on 240v, they work acceptably on 12v with the engine running, not brilliantly on 12v without engine(and draw a fair bit of current). They work ok on gas BUT you need to be stationary. with the fridge level.

Fitted properly, they work ok, they manage ok in campers and caravans, BUT as I said, they have to be fitted properly which entails holes in the bodywork. If they aren't fitted properly, the performance is very poor or non existant.

Regards,

Diff

ours just gets thrown in the support bus with a caterpillar battery, flicked onto 240 when the genny is running, left on gas outside on the floor in camp and 12V when the protopussy is onthe move, 3 bottles of vodka, and about a cat and a half fits in it, seems to do ok but not a patch on mondo money stuff, but as it cost nothing and probably is destined to be shot/run over or set fire to I think its good value for money,

As an aside if you want nice cold water get a sweat bag and hang it on the tow bag, the hotter it gets the cooler the water - no power consumption :)

• 4 months later...

The ones Towsure sell?

Any good?

I'm looking at fridge options for a possible* camper van conversion. I have 3 way absorption fridge from a caravan, but also looking at the compressor fridges too, although price is putting me off, and potential battery drain.

*subject to be finding a suitable van

thats the one.

i am happy with it, does what i want it to until i can afford the Engel.

havent got a clue about the techie side of things ie input/out put battery drain etc

like i said it was on all weekend (including Friday night) and the truck started first time and its a Tombraider!!! so i was pushing my luck!

And was that with just the standard 90 battery?

If so that's not too bad at all for my needs, shouldn't need to go more than a day or two without recharging batteries and I will have one (or maybe two) big auxillary batteries on a split charge.

Aye an Engel would be nice, but ££££ :blink:

If so that's not too bad at all for my needs, shouldn't need to go more than a day or two without recharging batteries and I will have one (or maybe two) big auxillary batteries on a split charge.

Standard battery? hey its me you are talking to the gravel drive offroader! :D of course it was a standard battery. :lol:

as for Engel ... one day.... now if only Tonk could make me one? :rolleyes: he made my bling boxes.

Mark

If you are coming over for the DC this year have a look in ACE hardware.They are selling WAECO and they are very cheap

I am going to buy one at the weekend, I'll let you know what the prices are like, from memory the CF35 was about 100gbp

Jason

Mark

If you are coming over for the DC this year have a look in ACE hardware.They are selling WAECO and they are very cheap

I am going to buy one at the weekend, I'll let you know what the prices are like, from memory the CF35 was about 100gbp

Jason

I am indeed coming over again this year, and at that price it may well be the way forward. Got a very good priced air compressor last year to bring back :)

thats the one.

i am happy with it, does what i want it to until i can afford the Engel.

havent got a clue about the techie side of things ie input/out put battery drain etc

like i said it was on all weekend (including Friday night) and the truck started first time and its a Tombraider!!! so i was pushing my luck!

Didn't I see you driving round the site? How long did you actually run the fridge for without starting and running the car? My inverter seems to flatten the battery without even having anything plugged into it if I leave it on by accident.

Mark, If you find yourself going down the invertor route you will find plenty of domestic sized fridges with very low power requirements. :) Tesco had some in at very reasonable prices recently.

Chris

Well that's another option to look into.

Ideally if I can find afford something suitable I would prefer the 12V route as there as no invertor losses then.

I guess you have looked at boat stuff? Some of it is phenominally expensive but generally of very high quality. You can get pre-charged motors, condensers and evaporators to build into your own chiller cabinets and then simply plug together to make your own fridge.

Chris

Didn't I see you driving round the site? How long did you actually run the fridge for without starting and running the car? My inverter seems to flatten the battery without even having anything plugged into it if I leave it on by accident.

Mark, If you find yourself going down the invertor route you will find plenty of domestic sized fridges with very low power requirements. :) Tesco had some in at very reasonable prices recently.

Chris

The only time i started the truck was to go to the arena on Sunday at about 3ish.

no probs with the inverter or truck .

I guess you have looked at boat stuff? Some of it is phenominally expensive

Yes, and it is.

Seems a lot of the marine market front opening fridges are made by Waeco.

If I can get a CF-35 (or bigger) or similar for decent money then that's probably the way I'll go, I'm not too keen on cutting big holes in the side of the van (that I still haven't got) for vents to fit a 3 way fridge.

Wonder what the TC-35 is like, that is mucho cheaper than the CF-35

Edit: Ah just checked and the TC is thermoelectric rather than compressor.

anyone know how the factory fridges fitted in the centre consoles of some japanese import landcruiser 80 series work.

I have seen allegations in some ebay ads that they make ice cubes as well, but i cant say i've ever seen one in the flesh.