what are those plug in cool boxes like when it gets realy hot?

freeagent

Aye an Engel would be nice, but ££££ :blink:

i have an engal 40ltr and it is the bo**ocks. really love it, 240v and 12v . Have it in the car on full time. Been on since Jan (have not turned it of since ptting it in the 90)and works well in all temps . Most temp we have had is 56 degrees c inside the car. Misses loves it for when she goes shopping. put the cold stuff in the fridge and then carries on shopping.

I filled it up with a slab of beer (and a couple of sauges) the other weekend and went to Cuiser Park for the whole weekend. And tht was with really bumpynweekend for ity in the back of the 90, plus the 25000 miles we have done with it in the bcak

When i get the rangie will put it in there or get another for that.

Depends what you are going to do with it and how much you are going to use it , but in my mind for the amount of power it uses (which is sod all) i think 400 punds is not alot of money.

fridge.jpg

fridge2.jpg

I'm not too keen on cutting big holes in the side of the van (that I still haven't got) for vents to fit a 3 way fridge... ...just checked and the TC is thermoelectric rather than compressor.

How about looking on Ebay for a big Peltier effect (thermoelectric) device and heatsink from an old computer. I understand that they are rather better than the ones used in el-cheapo cool boxes. Then, build your own insulated cabinate and use the side of the van as the hot side heatsink so you will not need to cut a hole. Whatever you do will need to be well ventilated/cooled as you have to loose heat for a fridge to function.

Chris

i think 400 punds is not alot of money

I think it is. But I know what you are saying, they are a good bit of kit.

How about looking on Ebay for a big Peltier effect (thermoelectric) device and heatsink from an old computer. I understand that they are rather better than the ones used in el-cheapo cool boxes. Then, build your own insulated cabinate and use the side of the van as the hot side heatsink so you will not need to cut a hole. Whatever you do will need to be well ventilated/cooled as you have to loose heat for a fridge to function.

Chris

Hmm I wonder how efficient my bodged homemade fridge would be :unsure:

Yeh any thing will need ventilation but the compressor fridges seem to need less ventilation than the 3-way absorption fridges and can be vented into the vehicle while the 3-ways must have outside venting due to the gas and a gas drop out hole too. The 3-ways also generate a lot more heat, the vent tube/chimney on the back gets far to hot to touch.

Anyway I'm off to look at a van this evening over near newbury, so I might have somewhere to put a fridge soon.

Mark a good fridge is expensive, but a worthy investment, there are lot of engels kicking around OZ that have seen a lot of service.

If you can`t stretch the budget to an engel, get a waeco, and forget the rest, stuffing around with inverters really is`nt feasable or practical for long term use.

Have you tried this crowd, they seem to be one of the cheapest suppliers in the UK.

Fridges

I know what you are saying Col, and I do think the Engel is worth that little bit extra over a similar spec Waeco. But there's not getting away from that fact it's a lot of money, that would buy me an ARB for the 90 for example.

Devon4x4 seem to have Engel MT35 for a good price.

I think I'll wait and see what deals can be had in Dubai ;)

The only time i started the truck was to go to the arena on Sunday at about 3ish.

no probs with the inverter or truck .

So, is there another TR90 with Alpine Adventures stickers and boxes on the roof then? I saw one pass the back of our stand during the morning, ages before the arena display.

Chris

I know what you are saying Col, and I do think the Engel is worth that little bit extra over a similar spec Waeco. But there's not getting away from that fact it's a lot of money, that would buy me an ARB for the 90 for example.

Devon4x4 seem to have Engel MT35 for a good price.

I think I'll wait and see what deals can be had in Dubai ;)

IIRC, MPS4x4 had the Engel MT35 for 350 squid at the LRO show... I camped next to a guy who had the 40 litre version, it was freezing the (vast quantity of) beer all night... he was running it off the standard battery in his 90 as well.

IIRC, MPS4x4 had the Engel MT35 for 350 squid at the LRO show... I camped next to a guy who had the 40 litre version, it was freezing the (vast quantity of) beer all night... he was running it off the standard battery in his 90 as well.

yeap same as mine but i have the 40ltr one . The advantage of the 40 ltr one is they do a box that firts on top and make it a 80ltr one. So if you need a bigger one at a later date then you can just get the top. Which is alot less than getting another one

Just thrown out a 12V cool box as it was melting the plug. There again it has been used continuously for over 6 weeks. Had to switch it off at night time as it was draining the auxilary battery. It supposedly drew a 4 amp current but I suspect that it was drawing more. It never seemed to keep things cold if left switched off overnight as well and that was in the high latitudes!

Have bought a giostyle coolbox at 60 euros. This one is supposed to draw 3 amps and the plug does not seem to get anywhere near as hot as the old one. As long as it lasts the rest of the trip it be ok.

Personally I think the cigarette lighter and multi point extension plugs are less than satisfactory.

Think when I get back to the UK I will be looking at other plug/socket combinations to improve the electrical contact and hence reduce current draw for the cool box.

I will also be looking at trying to source a cheapish Engel, one can always hope! :P

Regards

Leeds

just to add re peltier module frig's.

Dear old Dad modified a few over twenty years ago with bigger modules and more efficient heat sinks and they worked OK in Oz summers. The key to any 4x4 frig is uninterupted air flow to the heat rejection source, whether it be a fan cooled heat sink or fan forced condenser. Even a partly blocked access here will result in severely impared performance, regardless of refrigeration 'type'.

IMNSHO, the average 'electronic' frig these days isn't worth a pinch of Wallaby poo. As Col, John and Ali have already said, if you want a reliable frig that seems to last forever, get an Engel. I kow of many over twenty years old, that have done numerous off-road and outback adventures and still work fine. I used to feel that the insulation wasn't thick enough, but an insulated bag goes some way to helping there. Waeco are good value and lighter, but the jury is still out on long term reliability.

Don't get an absorbtion type frig (gas/electric) for a hot climate or vehicle use. You will be disapointed.