Overdrive removal - I'm not sure how?

English Gent

As I'm more of a 'remove big bits' rather than delicate fiddly bits, I thought I would take the opportunity to ask a question, prior to doing something potentially stupid.

I had a company fit one of the last Superwinch overdrives to the back of my IIA gearbox. I'm just about to strip out the overdrive, but, if I undo whatever it is that holds it on, will the handbrake still work. Actually, as I've typed that I've realised that it should as it's holding the propshaft still. :rolleyes:

Okay, as I'm obviously thick at the moment, is there any kind of fittings inside the overdrive that I should be careful of loosing?

Basically, I've reached a point whereby I don't use the old girl like I used to, and she no longer makes any sense in me paying to get it fixed (start motor and or flywheel) as it's never going to sell for what the govt will give me, however, if I can, I'm going to 'liberate' a couple of not critical bits ;)

Once you've removed the overdrive linkage, just undo the bolts holding it to the transfer case and pull it to the rear of the vehicle to remove it.

There will be a dog left behind on the gearbox output shaft, held in place by a castellated nut and tab washer. Retain the dog and nut as they will be needed when fitting the OD to another vehicle. The tab washer should be renewed (in practice use a standard one filed down a bit)

To be able to drive it you'll need to fit a gearbox output gear and the plate that fills the hole left by the OD.

As far as I can tell, it'll be towed a short distance on to a transporter and then to the scrapyard :blush: , but I don't want it to fall apart until it gets to the scrap yard, so my plan is to let it sit on the hand brake in 4wd (gonna 'liberate' the rear diff and shafts) then let the handbrake off when they tow it in neutral, so hopefully the gearbox bits shouldn't turn, and therefore hopefully won't explode as it goes through the estate.

I shall however look at getting the castellated nut off whilst I'm underneath.

I'm actually sad at the prospect of this. 18 years of blood, sweat and tears. :mellow::(

I'm not convinced this is the right thing to do, but it's kinda too late to back out now :unsure:

Cough, Err, have you tried offering it as is to the 'enthusiasts' (other terms are available) on the Series 2 Club Forum? http://www.series2club.info/forum

They might provide you an 'enthusiasm boost', or take it off your hands for more than the scrapman will.

Ahh "it's never going to sell for what the govt will give me", so you are using it in the scrappage scheme. In that case you could be right.

Sorry

Oooh, I think I might 'accidentally' exchange the cylinder head... I 'might' also swap out the expensive diff with a cheap one.

Do you think I'd get away with sending her away with no rear half shafts in and the end caps showing the open shaft holes?

:ph34r:

No disrespect to 'er Majesty's Inspectors, but there's a 90% chance they won't know what it should look like. Just say that the transfer box differential selector fork is broken (yes, I know) if they ask why it won't drive, and of course there's no fuel in it so the engine won't fire ...

It's okay, its off now. Removed a finely toothed cog with a roller bearing which appears to be firmly attached.

I wasn't hitting it hard enough before :rolleyes:

It was enough to simply put the gearbox into first to get it to stop rotating, and it wasn't even engine compression as there were no plugs in.